PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Caps Lock?

aysiu
August 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm getting annoyed at Caps Lock these days and have actually disabled it on Ubuntu. I'm curious as to what other people's Caps Lock habits are.

mc4100
August 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm getting annoyed at Caps Lock these days and have actually disabled it on Ubuntu. I'm curious as to what other people's Caps Lock habits are.
Sometimes I use it but, I think, not enough for it to have its own key. It should be a function of another, more used, key.

Edit: I suppose it's nice to know it's there, and that I can shout paragraphs if I so wish ;)

Dual Cortex
August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have the bad habit of using caps. lock every time I type a capsed word.
+1

RiceMonster
August 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I rarely use it. The only time I actually have it on is for very stupid conversations with my friends on msn. I don't really use it for anything practical.

amazingtaters
August 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Only very very rarely (like right now) do I ever use caps lock. Really this is the first time I remember using it in quite a while.

(wrote that all in caps, silly technology made it small. Sad day.)

Newuser1111
August 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I don't use it because whenever I use it, it crashes the media player(Songbird or Totem) so the music stops playing and wont start until I reopen the program.

-grubby
August 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think the current common keyboard layout makes any sense. I hardly ever use capslock, yet it's a right where I can accidentally hit it. I think enter or tab would make more sense there

init1
August 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
It's useful when I get DOS software and all the files are in caps. Much easier to do

mv FILE1.EXE FILE2.EXE FILE3.EXE ../somefolder

with caps lock than with the shift key.

sub2007
August 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I only rarely use it when I'm doing a lot in capitals (like annotating a diagram). And I nearly always start by holding down SHIFT until I realise that I can work a little quicker by pressing Caps Lock. I have pressed in on occasion thinking it was TAB but not realising and then ending up with weird looking sentance.

So I wouldn't miss Caps Lock if they took it off I don't think. My keyboard doesn't have a scroll lock key and I don't miss that! Num Lock can go while we're at it too, so many times I've pressed that by accident and tried to work out why my spreadsheet is flying everywhere. Insert is a very annoying button in text editors (as it overwrites, especially if you don't know that!) - thankfully it's at the top of my keyboard next to Print Screen! Having it next to Delete whilst editing text documents is just asking for trouble!

OutOfReach
August 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Actually I don't use Caps Lock, at all. When I have to type in words like THIS I just use Shift, one of the reason I don't use Caps Lock is that I type ALOT faster with Shift, If I use Caps Lock, I'll frequently forget to turn it off and MY SENTences COMe out LIKe THis.
:P Shift, FTW

red_Marvin
August 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I ALMOST NE...ver use capslock, I've considered to remap it as another AltGr since I need to use {[]}\ quite often (swedish keyboard => they are on AltGr + 7890+ keys) but I have yet been unsuccessful to do so :/

lvlo
August 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I use Caps Lock for switch keyboard layouts :)

Brunellus
August 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I've disabled capslock and have remapped it to ESC. It makes vim use much much easier. Of course, I got flamed on my local LUG mailing-list when I said this--it offended some people who insisted that the key MUST be CTRL. Sheesh.

shifty2
August 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Remapped it to control for emacs use.

I then made right control caps and left control and additional control - so people using my computer don't go insane.

billgoldberg
August 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM

I can't remember the last time I knowingly used it.

I've hit it a few times by accident, that's it.

--

I think Caps Lock is only useful for those people who like to type ALL CAPS.

Kingsley
August 6th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I only use it when I wanna act like an e-thug on the Internet.

lukjad
August 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I may use it once in a while but I cannot remember the last time I did. I usually hold the Shift key, even for complete sentences (very rare, mostly for parody).

mthei
August 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Only at work with documents that my bosses needed to look at. They'd complain if I used lowercase for certain things and a font size smaller than 14. I was actually against that, but that was just the student in me refusing to leave.

insane_alien
August 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM
i voted other, i use the caps lock key, but it is remapped to a completely different function. come to think of it, very few keys on my keyboard do what they're labelled.

the layout is qwerty but i have it set to dvorak and so on.

Joeb454
August 7th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I need to figure out how to remap it. Because I don't use it :p

I quite like Brunellus' idea of remapping it for vim :)

grossaffe
August 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I just hold the shift key when typing, its easier than toggling the caps lock button

master5o1
August 7th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Caps lock is cruise control for cool

Edit: I swear I posted this in caps :S

doas777
August 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I use caps lock exactly as often as it's appropriate (long serial numbers, hashes, etc). Most of the time I just hold shift with my right pinky. Mostly I end up using it on accident.

LaRoza
August 7th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Not on purpose.

I am going to remap it (to esc) someday...

Zeotronic
August 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I don't use it, and I'm not entirely sure I ever have. I question it's usefulness... they could probably put another 'enter' over there and I would find it more useful... but whatever.

mikjp
August 7th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I rarely SHOUT. It is a bad habit ;)

mikko

Alasdair
August 7th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I made my caps lock key another control. It's an essential tweak for using emacs without getting RSI. ;)

koji042
August 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I never use CAPS Lock. It's probably the most annoying key on my keyboard; especially when I press it while typing. Never actually thought about remapping the key though. Thanks for the idea. :)

brunovecchi
August 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Before doing a fresh hardy install, I had Capslock remapped to Esc for using with Vim, like others already said. I got used to it really quickly (not only for vim, but for anything else that uses Esc), and now sometimes I press Capslock instead of Esc. It's amazing how hard it's becoming to leave that little habit, even after only having it for a month or so.

I've been putting of remapping it for a few months now, but I think this thread is a signal that I should finally do it.

waapwoop1
August 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I use it to unleash the mother ******* FURY!!!

LaRoza
August 7th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Remap Caps Lock to ESC: http://linuxcommando.blogspot.com/2008/03/remap-useless-caps-lock-key-in-x.html

fluteflute
August 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I used to be able to type relatively fast using Caps Lock. However I was shown the light of Shift years ago now.

So I'm typing this with Caps Lock and its taking me forever! I've definately lost a skill. :p

Vishal Agarwal
August 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
HeHeHe,
My boss don't know the use of shift key. So for every first capital letter he use the caps lock.

:lolflag:

SupaSonic
August 7th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I never use caps lock. Ever.

Edit: Posts all in caps seem to be disabled here. Nice touch.

lisati
August 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I've used caps lock a few times on purpose, and a lot of times by accident.

Lexicon101
August 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Caps lock reminds me of years ago playing Dark Ages, running around trying to date "girls" and laying traps that look like little olde schoole NES graphics explosions..

In short, no. I don't use caps lock.

Kernel Sanders
August 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! :lolflag:

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Once in a blue moon.

iamBevan
August 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Shift :D

regomodo
August 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
#

Dr Small
August 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I never use Caps Lock. I wish I could just set the key to null key and still have the Caps Lock light not come on. That is what is annoying about using it. I do press Caps Lock on accident while playing games though, because I set TAB to jump.

Dr Small

samjh
August 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I use caps lock quite often. Mostly when typing parts of addresses (suburbs and states are supposed to be in capitals over here).

Using the shift key for that sort of stuff is bad for health.

Brunellus
August 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I don't know; there are two shift keys; I can switch quite handily from one to another. . . .

bobbocanfly
August 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I ahve it disabled in my .bashrc. As soon as i load up Terminator (the first thing I do when i load up gnome) or log in on a tty, I have no caps lock :D

bp1509
August 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM
d

Mr. Picklesworth
August 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I use the caps lock key to type my password. People can't guess it even if they watch me typing :P

sanderella
August 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, there are a few things that have to be typed in capitals, postcodes for instance. It would be nice not to have to use caps at all.

LaRoza
August 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM
It would be nice not to have to use caps at all.

Some writing systems don't have capital letters, like Devanagari.

hellion0
August 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL! :lolflag:...Which is why I map it to Ctrl.

markp1989
August 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM

how did you disable it ?

aysiu
August 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
how did you disable it ?
I followed these instructions:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/disable-and-enable-caps-lock-in-ubuntu.html

estyles
August 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I use it occasionally for work. Our accounting system is some archaic program on an AIX box that requires all caps (and actually asks you to turn Caps Lock on when you start it up), so I occasionally use Caps Lock when using that system. Or when I remote into one of the accounting people's PC's, they often leave Caps Lock on, and I have to use my Caps Lock key to cancel out theirs.

D-EJ915
August 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I move Control back to its proper spot. F* caps lock!

macogw
August 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I disabled Caps Lock. It's remapped to be a 2nd escape key for vim.

atihimself
August 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
at work when I have to fill special leasing forms, then it's easier to use than shift

SuperSonic4
August 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I very rarely use it, I just use the shift button

cleverselfreferentialname
October 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I use Caps Lock for switch keyboard layouts :)

Good idea - how did you do it?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. I think I'll write a howto.

aeiah
October 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
a friend ive known for most of my life, and have worked in the same office as for the last 3, only recently learnt that you can type in upper case by holding the shift key down whilst pressing a letter. he'd always do <capslock>H<capslock>ello :lolflag:

kinda scary. we're an environmental data company. work all day on computers.

71CH
October 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I use Caps Lock for games like Urban Terror. It's set to crouch. :guitar:

cknight
October 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I use it somewhat often at work as a programmer. We code all java constants in caps and all our COBOL code is in caps (yes, COBOL, alive and kicking)

Jim!
October 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Does everyone here use the 'Shift' key instead of Caps Lock? I always use Caps Lock.

chungy
October 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I've disabled Caps Lock, but the key isn't entirely useless. It's another Control key on my setup, which makes shortcuts a lot more accessible.

IF I REALLY NEED TO SCREAM, I JUST HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY. It makes the process require more effort, and thus mean a whole lot more ;)

isecore
October 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I turned mine into another CTRL key. Never really use it though, but rather have it as a CTRL-key (or a Compose-key) so it actually serves some occasional use.

danbuter
October 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I use it at work occasionally, because I send reports to the state, which requires alphabet soup acronyms.

Presto123
October 10th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I use it frequently because I get tired of shifting my way through someone's name/address/etc. when I ship things. This is only at work, though. I use shift here due to netiquette rules.

olejorgen
October 10th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I map it to esc

Denestria
October 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I have a non-windows keyboard with the caps lock remapped to Super.

joebodo
October 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Mine is mapped to toggle mute.

will1911a1
October 10th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I use it all the time since some of the software I use at work wants everything in all caps for some reason.

conundrumx
October 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I don't ever use Caps Lock. Even if I want to type something in all caps, I'll hold down the SHIFT KEY SO I REMIND MYSELF HOW ANNOYING IT IS. ;)

paulie420
November 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
:popcorn:

I desided to use Ubuntu on my laptop for work, I use Terminal Services to get to my work server to run programs like Peachtree. I usually enter in my orders with there description all in caps. Since the update from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 something went wrong or there is a bug, Caps Lock does nothing in a terminal session, I have tried all remote desktop clients I could find.

I would use CAPS LOCK all the time, if only it carried threw to my terminal session.

:lolflag:

Frak
November 21st, 2008, 02:41 AM
I use caps lock very frequently.

Hyper Tails
November 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
I accedently hit it