PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing Ubuntu

Rockmanneo
August 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm installing it on a formatted hddd, it'll be the only OS on the disk. So when I installed it, I told it to use the entire disk. Anyway, installation went without a hitch. It told me to reboot.

So I reboot, it tells me "GRUB is loading, Please wait", and then it crashes. It shows the flashing underscore at the top left of the screen, an "F" below it, with 2 green squares, and it locks up.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

tech9
August 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm installing it on a formatted hddd, it'll be the only OS on the disk. So when I installed it, I told it to use the entire disk. Anyway, installation went without a hitch. It told me to reboot.

So I reboot, it tells me "GRUB is loading, Please wait", and then it crashes. It shows the flashing underscore at the top left of the screen, an "F" below it, with 2 green squares, and it locks up.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

you could try repairing grub with supergrub disk...

http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

raul_
August 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have no idea, but maybe you could try reinstalling Grub (you can find the instructions in the forums).

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

Rockmanneo
August 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have no idea, but maybe you could try reinstalling Grub (you can find the instructions in the forums).

Also, what version of Ubuntu are you using?

The newest one, 8.04

Rockmanneo
August 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Where should I put the boot loader? I have three options:

(hd0)
/dev/sda (This had my hdd listed under it)
/dev/sda1

wpshooter
August 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Are you installing this from the LIVE CD version of Ubuntu ?

If so, then try installing it with the safe graphics mode option.

If that does not work then download, burn & try installing from the ALTERNATE (texted based) version of Ubunutu.

Also, I recommend that you use the manual parition option and make sure that you make a bootable /root partition, a /home partition and a /swap paritition.

Good luck.