PDA

View Full Version : Current status of ATI drivers?

mips
August 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

I read the above but was wondering what your views were on the current status of ATI drivers. It would be especially interesting to hear from users that have both ATI & nVidia cards.

I have only ever owned one ATI card but that was in windows and even then I did not like it. So what has changed?

billgoldberg
August 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM
All I can say about the ati drivers, is the ones in the hardy repositories can't handle OpenGL here.

Compiz Fusion isn't a problem, though.

I heard the ATI drives will soon surpass the NVIDEA ones, so I'm hoping the drivers in Ibex will be better.

rudihawk
August 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
On my first PC i had Radeon X550X - no problems at all compiz ran flawlessly. I now have a Radeon X1960GT also runs flawlessly.

I recently helped a friend install linux on his new PC (dual boot) he has a Radeon 4870, was a bit of a mission to find the correct drivers at first for linux, but once installed and up and running, again no problems whatsoever. :) so thats 3 Ati cards for with no issues at all.

Vince4Amy
August 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well the ones in the Hardy Repo cause crashes, the current official ones give screen corruption after running certain applications like WINE.