PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4 looks promising

vishzilla
August 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Today i tried KDE 4.1 and it looks and feels good. I feel this is the next step that has been taken to make Linux more appealing on a Desktop. I was never comfortable with KDE before, but now its seems to have set in. I will test drive for the next few days, lets see if its satisfies my first impression

BigSilly
August 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM
It is indeed lovely as you say. I've always liked both KDE and Gnome, but KDE4 is definitely the one to watch if pretty Linux is what you're after. I usually dual boot Mandriva with Ubuntu, and I'm hoping they manage to integrate KDE4 well into Mandriva 2009.

Then again, I've only just discovered Compiz with Gnome, and that's actually very pretty too. If only it wasn't so buggy...

mips
August 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
It still has a few bugs and missing features but it 4.1 is a huge improvement over 4.0. It is pretty stable on my destop so far.

I really like the new kde4 a lot. I find it 'cleaner' and less 'noisy' than kde3.5

I just wish there were more usefull widgets/plasmoids available as the current ones are actually of no use to me. Wtf do they call it widgets btw, I prefer plasmoids :)

bimmerd00d
August 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I used it for a week on my work PC. I really wanted to like it. I tried it on Kubuntu 8.04 and then Opensuse 11. It felt a bit more integrated on Opensuse, and Kubuntu had a lot of missing thing I needed to configure. In the end, i'm back to Gnome on ubuntu 8.04. I dont know why i even bother changing distros or DE's anymore, i always end up right back here. :lol:

Mazza558
August 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I was never a big fan of KDE before version 4. It's developing very fast and getting nicer every time.

billgoldberg
August 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
KDE isn't really for me.

There is something about KDE I can't stand.

If I use it longer than a few hours, I go crazy.

mips
August 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
KDE isn't really for me.

Gnome does the same to me ;) Horses for courses...

jgrabham
August 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
KDE isn't really for me.

I used to think that, then I loved 4.0 (although it was unusable, it just wasn't anywhere near stable enough to be considered a realistic option). I haven't had a chance to use 4.1 yet, but I do look forward to it.

EDIT 'james@krycek:~$ sudo apt-get install kde4' in a couple of hours (200 odd megs to download) I'll find out what it's like.

GeneralZod
August 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yep, after a very, very rocky start, it's starting to come together quite nicely. Still a lot of work left to do, but the pace of development is astonishing - last month had, as far as I can tell, the highest number of commits in the history of the project:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&r=1&w=2

I've set myself the goal of getting 5 patches accepted before I apply for my svn account - then all hell is gonna break loose ;)

billgoldberg
August 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Gnome does the same to me ;) Horses for courses...

I can stand gnome together with compiz fusion, but the only one I really like is fluxbox.

Dual Cortex
August 6th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Fluxbox gives me reflux.

symon1980
August 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
You Guys that like kde 4.1 or are interested in it Should give Mandriva 2009 beta2 a spin!
It is Excellent so far! For some reason, for me... it works alot better in Mandriva than it did in OpenSuse. no lag, not a single crash.
Mandriva 2009 is gonna be a HUGE Release in October! I can't wait.
I've only been using mandriva for 24 hours and im addicted! I installed the 2009 beta2 version and the 2008 kde version. Simply Awesome.
symon.

ooobuntooo
August 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I can stand gnome together with compiz fusion, but the only one I really like is fluxbox.

Which is more lightweight? IceWM or Fluxbox?
I use Ice to play games and Gnome for everything else.

mips
August 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Which is more lightweight? IceWM or Fluxbox?

I speak under correction when I say IceWM is lighter.