PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /Home and /TMP

willieboy
August 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I am only using 8.04.1 for a couple of weeks now but I am making a progress with getting it setup.
I am not dual booting.
There is 1 thing I'm not sure of. The first 2 or 3 times I installed it, I partitioned the hard drive as
/
(8.04.1 Ubuntu won't accept " /root" in its partition setup.)
/swapfile
/home
/tmp

It all went well, the home and tmp partitions were OK, that is, they were showing in Places.
I continued to install programs and when they were not right or I made a mistake I formatted & setup the hard drive again.

Then the 2 partitions had the Lost and Found folder in them and I was locked out, I gave myself authorisations but it did not work.

Then the partitions were in "Computer" on the Places menu, FileSystem is in there along with all the other partitions and CD/DVD drives. /Home and /Tmp are in Filesystem along with lots of other folders, I could -and can- access them.
They are in there now with every installation. I can place them on the desktop if I want to.

I have tried different settings and sizes of partitions, also placing /home and /tmp in an extended partition.

Is there (or could there) be a problem with that or is it OK to use them that way, that is in FileSystem in, I assume Root.

thank you.

spiderbatdad
August 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
what you have done sounds fine and common...logging in, you are still in user space, so /home/your_username is not a root owned partition. If you run the command
idYou should see uid 1000 (your username)...etc. If you log into your primary user account. You can have others with different uids.

willieboy
August 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
resolved