PDA

View Full Version : Need Oracle Alternative

ameyjah
August 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I am using since last three months.Now I need Oracle Alternative for ubuntu. I am using Hardy Gnome.As we have Oracle Related assignments, I am searching for exact clone. So if you know any free alternative Oracle clone for education purpose then please do inform me. :)

Martin Witte
August 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I am using since last three months.Now I need Oracle Alternative for ubuntu. I am using Hardy Gnome.As we have Oracle Related assignments, I am searching for exact clone. So if you know any free alternative Oracle clone for education purpose then please do inform me. :)

You won't find any legal clone of Oracle, as Oracle is protected by license agreements. Free - open source - databases are listed here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_source_database_management_systems)

pmasiar
August 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Oracle can run on ubuntu (using synaptic, IIRC, if you have right to install it: oracle provides ubuntu-compatible repository!), try LTS version, i had problems installing Oracle on non-LTS

nanotube
August 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
what features of oracle do you need? if you are just using standard database/sql stuff, you can use any FOSS database to achieve the same effect (a couple of the most famous ones being mysql and postgresql - look them up).

if you need some oracle-specific features, then it'll just have to be oracle itself - see pmasiar's post above.

ameyjah
August 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I dont think I would need so many Oracle specific functions. My university slyllabus has also mentioned about ORACLE/MYSQL/PostgreSQL/SQLSERVER/INGRESS . As far as I know, MySQL and Postgre are free. I will give a try and let you know more about it.

CptPicard
August 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
It sounds like it's a general SQL database class. I would suggest PostgreSQL... it's the most standard-compliant and goes furthest as far as features are concerned.

The Cog
August 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You might want to look at SQLite. It's not multi-user but it does normal SQL and it's surprisingly complete. If you have firefox, you already have it embedded. There is an SQLite GUI add-on to firefox called Sqlite-manager. It allows you to create/edit standalone database files.