PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question regarding windows/ubuntu

jsprz8382
August 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I am no longer happy windows and I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu but I dont know much about it so I was wondering what happens to the files and programs that were installed in windows?
Also are all programs that are compatible with windows compatible with ubuntu and does all the memory get transfered to the ubuntu os?

tuxxy
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
It would be a frsh install so backup your old files somehow, windows programs can be run under linux using WINE or just installing windows again to a virtual machine where you will run windows in linux. Modern games must be run under WINE however.

pmlxuser
August 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
To be frank (say the truth) with you. if you expect ubuntu to behave like windows.. then you will be disaapointed. its true that windows program run in ubuntu using wine but to get them running you might have to work hard sometimes.

however if you have already tried ubuntu live cd and are satisfied, then you have two option
1. clean up your hard disk with a clean install (wipes data with it)
2. do an advanced installation which gives you the option of installing ubuntu on part of your disk saving the windows partition and data. (carefull follwing of instructions is involved here)

The best solution if you want to completely leave windows isto back up your data on an external disk or DVD/CDs and do a clean install.

but if not sure you can still search the web for more information the forumns a good start ;)

oldos2er
August 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I am no longer happy windows and I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu but I dont know much about it so I was wondering what happens to the files and programs that were installed in windows?
Also are all programs that are compatible with windows compatible with ubuntu and does all the memory get transfered to the ubuntu os?

Windows executables do not run natively under Linux; however, there is Wine which is capable of running some Win* apps. If you tell us which programs you need to run, we can suggest Linux-based alternatives.

xen-uno
August 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think you can just point to Windoes installed Win apps and run them ... unless they are free standing (so to speak) and don't write to the Win registry, and you have WINE installed. Registry bound Win apps have to be installed under WINE, AFAIK.