View Full Version : [ubuntu] samba, ftp & VNC no longer works after server 8 upgrade (reinstall) from server 7

August 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
hi i recently went to live update to server 8.04 from 7 and it crashed my computer. instead of repairing i just completely wiped out my 7.10 and installed the 8.04 fresh with a the new updated webmin.

the problem is i cant get my proftpd, samba, or VNC to work again.

i have put a static ip and all my router ports are forwarded but nothing works. its like it wont except any kind of incomin connections. is there something differant in 8 that i need to activate to get it to work like it used to in 7? any help is appreciated, been at this for like 4 days now.

my samaba wont see my home workgroup

my ftp just wont activate (cant access it from the web or client)

can not remote in it just times out.

all this used to work fine in 7. is there something i am forgeting fromt he last time possibly?

August 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
are you running firestarter or anything similar??ensure that your machine is getting an ip address.. is the machine able to access the internet?

August 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM
funny you say firestarter

i went home on lunch and remembered downloading firestarter but never actually touching it. so i actually looked at it and saw it running and stopped the program; whola!

its funny as soon as i gave up and put this up i remembered soemthing and fixed it. i do want to look into firestarter a bit now tho and see if i can figure out how to actually use it.

thanks for the reply tho

gretaly appreciated.