PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu failing to install

kitraeeyeofdrakonus
August 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I have been trying to install Ubuntu for a while, I downloaded the latest version 8.04.1, and put it on a cd, and on a flash drive. Both ways have the same problem. When I boot from either media, the opening screen comes up, I choose Install Ubuntu, and it starts the installation boot. Then it goes black, pc is still on, but nothing happens. I can press the power button, and it says to eject the cd. I have verified the .iso image with md5sum, so there is not a bad image. I have a Gateway C-140XL laptop that is less than a year old. 4GB of RAM, almost 200GB of free space excluding all of Vista and files.

overdrank
August 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I have been trying to install Ubuntu for a while, I downloaded the latest version 8.04.1, and put it on a cd, and on a flash drive. Both ways have the same problem. When I boot from either media, the opening screen comes up, I choose Install Ubuntu, and it starts the installation boot. Then it goes black, pc is still on, but nothing happens. I can press the power button, and it says to eject the cd. I have verified the .iso image with md5sum, so there is not a bad image. I have a Gateway C-140XL laptop that is less than a year old. 4GB of RAM, almost 200GB of free space excluding all of Vista and files.

Hi and welcome, what is the graphics card and have you tried using the safe graphics mode? I believe you can use the option F4.

kitraeeyeofdrakonus
August 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
the graphics card is an ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400, and I have not tried the safe graphics mode, do you know if that works with the usb drive boot mode?

jsprz8382
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I had a similar problem I never managed to fix it so I decided to install it an alternative way I used wubi.
http://wubi-installer.org/