PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time boot...

sbalick
August 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I am a newbie stuck with Ubuntu stalling out at first boot. Grub begins running and the screen clears. The next screen presents itself with "Starting Up...". Then nothing, blotto, zilch - for hours. I did have some initial problems getting Ubuntu installed on my system as it is rather old (probably about 6 yrs), but adequate - AMD 900MHz 640MB PC133 RAM 250GB HD - generally speaking has done me VERY well, and I'd like to think that it can sustain me for a while longer. I had some problems getting GRUB to install due to the HD size - that darned Error 18. All of the forum information and help docs directed me to set up a few partitions on the drive during install setup. I configured the system with a 4GB / partition, 4GB swap space, with the remaining used as /home. Install completed, and when the system rebooted to first launch, I was left with "Starting Up..." , and nothing else.

Did I partition the HD correctly? What am I missing? The system only responds to the power switch at this point. I have searched all of the forum info and docs - can't find anything to instruct me further...

- Desperately seeking Ubuntu....

meindian523
August 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
From details you have given,it doesn't look like there is a partitioning issue,of course considering that your / partition is at the start of the HDD.But,my suggestion would be to create a /boot partition at the start of the HDD(approx 100 Mb is quite enough) and ensure Grub is installed on the MBR.

logos34
August 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
4GB swap space

mega overkill...with only 640 mb ram all you need is ~1 gb max.

I agree with meindian--doesn't sound like a bios/cylinder limit boundary problem--IF, that is, your / is sda1. ca. 2003 should rule that out. So I doubt if a separate /boot will help, but never know, you can try

sbalick
August 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the response.

I didn't notice that the /boot partition was specifically necessary - nor do I recall anything in the docs section of the site, but I will certainly try that.

On the Grub topic, how I install Grub on the MBR? - My only guess here would be to download an app that self installs from a floppy or something in BIOS. Then, how do I verify it? Are there readers for sector 0? (MBR) - usually you can't directly read this area.

logos34
August 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
see 'Restore Grub from Live CD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)' in my signature

sbalick
August 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Logos: thx. I'll try that in a few hrs.

meindian523
August 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
sbalick:
You can read the MBR(or any part of your HDD) by using the dd command and giving the destination as a file.