PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disabling the Touchpad Tap

Beridel
August 6th, 2008, 05:32 AM
So far I've been loving my gazelle to death, and I've already been on two vacations this summer where I've only had my laptop (separated from my windows desktop, I'm slowing trying to wean myself off windows :P) and I haven't missed my desktop or windows at all. So I consider that progress.

The one thing though that drives me crazy, and this is not specific just to system76 lappies is the touchpad tap. I just hate it. Now I've looked around the forums to try and fix it, but all the HOWTOs suggest using gsynaptics or going to preferences->mouse and going to the touchpad tab. Problem is I don't have a synaptics touchpad section in my xorg.conf and I don't have a touchpad tab in my mouse preferences, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'll post my xorg.conf and see what you guys can do for me. :popcorn:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

williumbillium
August 6th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Try going to:

Preferences -> Touchpad -> Tapping

Then uncheck "Enable tapping".

Hope that helps.

thomasaaron
August 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The GazV5 doesn't have the System > Preferences > Touchpad application.

I'm not aware of a way to disable tapping. You should be able to adjust the sensitivity, though, through System > Preferences > Mouse.

Beridel
August 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hmm, thats sad that nothing can be done. I couldn't try some other touchpad drivers or something that would allow me to disable tap? I'm willing to try whatever, because I really don't like the touchpad tap.

thomasaaron
August 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM
There are some drivers out there for ElandTech touchpads. However, they have to be cooked into the kernel. They will probably be available in the next Ubuntu version.

I know they were working on them near the end of Gutsy, but I don't think they had the kinks worked out for Hardy.

melrom
August 7th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Sorry, related problem. I added the Touchpad program from Add/Remove Software and it says this: GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics. Not sure what to change, and REALLY not keen on ruining my xorg config.

Which, here it is:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Feb 14 18:20:37 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

osx424242
August 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Not a solution, but here are a few more links:

I like tap-to-click, but I looked into this issue a bit a few months ago to try to fix my roommate's "broken" Gazelle. The most interesting URL I bookmarked was http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=253004. I went back tonight and found that it had spawned a follow-on thread, http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=30685. I spent about 30 minutes on it tonight but couldn't get it to work. Not sure if that's because I have a panv3 instead of an EeePC, or if it's because I'm using kernel version
$ uname -r
2.6.24-20-generic
$ instead of 2.6.24-17.

On the off chance they are useful, here are the other bookmarks I made, which might give you some search engine fodder:
http://arjan.opmeer.net/elantech/ (what you need to include if you feel like recompiling your kernel... which I don't)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/123775 (a filed bug report on the issue; doesn't seem to have any guarantee that it will be in Ibex)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=492984&page=3
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

thomasaaron
August 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
melrom,

That program is for synaptics touchpads. It will not work with the touchpad in your GazV5.

ibuclaw
August 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
You can disable tapping while you type on the keyboard:

Add

Option "SHMConfig" "true"
in the Section "InputDevice" section.

And put in your startup items:

syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K
Or you could try running the command now to see if it makes a difference...

Will that help?

Regards
Iain

darkknight045
August 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately that line only works if you have a synaptics touchpad. The Gazp5 has the elantech touch pad, so shmconfig and syndaemon don't work with it.

linuxonbute
August 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately that line only works if you have a synaptics touchpad. The Gazp5 has the elantech touch pad, so shmconfig and syndaemon don't work with it.

The driver module for the elantech touchpad ( which does use the synaptics driver ) was written by Arjan Opmeer. He set it up with a fixed sensitivity for tapping so as I understand it the kernel ignores any changes in xorg.conf.

My touchpad on my Zepto Znote 3215W is elantech and the xorg.conf does include a synaptics section.

It is so sensitive that it is impossible to use. Maybe it will work if the maintainer does decide to work on what is a serious problem to me.

If it is a problem to very few users it will probably not be fixed.

I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to fix this problem and I have no idea if Arjan is still involved with this.

All the ideas to overcome this problem do not seem to work with this
eg MaxTapTime and so on so I have added this line to /etc/rc.local

rmmod psmouse
on a line immediately before the final
exit 0
at the end of the file.

I use a usb wireless mouse instead although I would prefer not to.