PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Notes in the Repositories

Sef
August 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM
From Market Watch (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ibm-canonicalubuntu-novell-red-hat/story.aspx?guid=%7BF6BECEDE-0833-4FA6-83D7-4EBA7A79337E%7D&dist=hppr), Lotus Notes will be added to the repositories.

Canonical, which sells subscription support for Ubuntu, a Linux operating system that scores high marks on usability and "the cool factor," will re-distribute Lotus Symphony via their repositories. Symphony 1.1 will be available through the Ubuntu repositories by the end of August. General availability will coincide with the Lotus Symphony 1.2 release expected to be available by the end of October 2008.

Sealbhach
August 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I was very surprised to read that. Seems a bit too businesslike for Ubuntu repos.

Koori23
August 6th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Grr. I hate Lotus Notes. I have it at work.

Icehuck
August 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Grr. I hate Lotus Notes. I have it at work.

I start converting to exchange tomorrow. Neener! :lolflag:

Rotarychainsaw
August 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I'm trying to understand this... Is notes free? I'm using version 7 at work (on windows) and it honks, 8 is supposedly a lot better. I didn't even think to look and see if there was a free download anywhere...

davidwi
August 6th, 2008, 03:25 AM
The article quoted only mentions that Lotus Symphony the office suite from IBM (also based on Open Office) will be placed in the repositores not Lotus Notes.

It goes on to talk about the Open Collaboration Client Solution which includes Lotus Notes. This is not being added to the repositores.

TravisNewman
August 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Buried as inaccurate! :)

Yeah, as davidwi said, no Lotus Notes.

Lotus Symphony is pretty sweet though. Tabbed interface for any and all docs (So you can have spreadsheets and word processor docs up at the same time, for example). Seems to start faster and take up way less memory than OOo.

uberlube
August 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I gave Lotus a try when it was covered in and old copy of Linux Pro Magazine. It downloads as a bat file and installs nicely. Was fun to play with too.

SunnyRabbiera
August 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I'm trying to understand this... Is notes free? I'm using version 7 at work (on windows) and it honks, 8 is supposedly a lot better. I didn't even think to look and see if there was a free download anywhere...

Well as far as I know lotus notes was commercial but can be run for free, but IBM has changed around a lot so its probably 100% free by now.

Icehuck
August 6th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Is this software proprietary? Before I said I never really cared if I used proprietary software, but concerning this software it is starting to bother me.

SunnyRabbiera
August 6th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Is this software proprietary? Before I said I never really cared if I used proprietary software, but concerning this software it is starting to bother me.

Well from what I read yes its proprietary but most likely its going to be optional if that is the case...