PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu install HELP ME

ss2pheonix
August 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
when ever i try to install ubuntu i get to this text based system similar to dos that says "enter help for a list of commands" and i have no idea what to do. it alwase goes to this it has never gone to the graphical installer that all other forums keep saying shoud happen
Please help!!!!!!
i tried to get linux 8.04 off the site but my internet is not good enough to download it so i got an official cd it is "Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit live & install Edition" if that helps

kspncr
August 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Have you tried typing help to see what commands it gives you? You may be able to install from there.

neilneil2000
August 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
It seems to me like you have the server version of the disk and not the desktop version this is why you are confronted with the text based interface.

You should be able to install using the text based method and I seem to remember the banner message saying something about hwo to start the process off.

If you don't know what certain options mean it is generally safe to accept the default. I would advise however to unplug any drives you don't want wiped if you are really unsure what you are doing.

Once the server version is installed, the following commands should get you the graphical desktop installed:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

ss2pheonix
August 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
well i got it to install but now i need help installing programs
help!!!!!!