PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Configure Compiz on Ubuntu 8.04 running on VMware

neo_bahamut
August 5th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

I am new around here, so I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I have VMware Workstation 6.04 install on my pc, and I decided to create a new virtual machine and install Ubuntu.

Everything went very smoothly, so I started reading about what can I do with Ubuntu and find about Compiz. I tried using several walkthroughs but I am not able to get it to work.

I noticed that most of the guides are for stand alone Ubuntu computers, so I don’t know if there's if there’s a different process to get Compiz working with VMware.

Could you help me out with this?

Thanks in advance.

Qchan
August 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

I am new around here, so I am sorry if this has been discussed before. I have VMware Workstation 6.04 install on my pc, and I decided to create a new virtual machine and install Ubuntu.

Everything went very smoothly, so I started reading about what can I do with Ubuntu and find about Compiz. I tried using several walkthroughs but I am not able to get it to work.

I noticed that most of the guides are for stand alone Ubuntu computers, so I don’t know if there's if there’s a different process to get Compiz working with VMware.

Could you help me out with this?

Thanks in advance.

From my understanding, 3D applications are not supported in Vmware (by default). You'll have to enable them by editing a configuration file.

I'm not sure what version you're running, but you should be able to find your answer here:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling_vm.html

cariboo
August 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
VMWare uses virtual hardware, so there is no real support for all the whiz bang features of Ubuntu. You can get a working installation that will do everything you need. To use the special affects you have to do a real install.

Jim