PDA

View Full Version : Exposing Windows users to Linux without evangelizing

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I think many of us (including me) have gone through an overzealous Linux evangelism phase. It's only natural when you discover something that gets you excited to want to share it with others. It is also natural, of course, for others - when preached at - to feel more adamantly about sticking with what they know.

I very much agree with smartboyathome's thread One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750) and have blogged similarly about it: Linux for home users - stop the hype! (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/linux-for-home-users-stop-the-hype/)

I think we are in a bit of a predicament here, since it is rather obnoxious to shove Linux in the face of Windows users when they have no intent of switching from their operating system of choice, but at the same time, most Windows users don't even know they have a choice.

The one way I've been able to successfully expose Windows users to Linux is through data recovery.

1. A friend of mine had her Windows unbootable and she was told by Dell they'd have to charge her several hundred dollars to recover her photos from the hard drive. I told her if she brought her laptop in, we could just take the photos off the hard drive with a Linux CD. She was a little preoccupied with other stuff, so she never did bring it around. I did show her how to do it, though, with a Knoppix CD, and she was very impressed (and also thought Tux was cute). I left her with that Knoppix CD.

2. Another friend of mine accidentally reformatted her Windows drive (I think she had wanted to just repartition it) and was freaked out that all her years of work were gone. So she bought an external hard drive and asked if I knew how to retrieve the files? I didn't know at the time, but I did a little research and found photorec could do the job. Her hard drive was huge, so it took almost six hours to run the full scan, but she got her files back.

3. At church, our Windows computer crashed and wouldn't boot up, and one of the seminary interns said he wasn't sure if he could fix it and may need to reinstall but apparently we didn't keep frequent enough backups of all the files, so there were some files that needed to be retrieved. I popped in a Linux Mint CD and copied the files to his iPod. I left the Linux Mint CD with him.

I think just handing someone a live CD and saying, "Here - try this" isn't going to do much unless that person is a naturally technologically curious person. It is nice, though, to use Linux to save the day for data recovery and also expose people to alternatives. I believe there's a program that allows you to make a live Windows CD, too, but that seems a bit involved and has questionable licensing issues (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#licensing)... and doesn't really expose people to new things.

If you do ever want to help someone in this way but aren't able to do it in person, I've created a little three-part tutorial on using Linux (Ubuntu specifically) to recover Windows data:
Recovering Windows files with a Ubuntu CD I: the backstory (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/recovering-windows-files-with-a-ubuntu-cd-i-the-backstory/)
Recovering Windows files with a Ubuntu CD II: getting your files (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/recovering-windows-files-with-a-ubuntu-cd-ii-getting-your-files/)
Recovering Windows files with a Ubuntu CD III: deleted files (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/recovering-windows-files-with-a-ubuntu-cd-iii-deleted-files/)

I hope you find those resources helpful. Please do not preach Linux. It often backfires... But you can still expose people to Linux.

ARhere
August 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
+1

-ar

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Glad you like the idea, ARhere.

Someone was kind enough to let me know of some broken links in there, and those should be fixed now.

ARhere
August 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I tried to send you a private message, but your inbox is full. I wanted to post the pic of the Ubuntu demo machine I set up at a computer store here in MS, but did not want to hijack this thread. It has, by far, been the best method of generating interest among people without sounding preachy. It was the end result a previous thread discussing passing out Ubuntu CD's.

People can play with it, three different handouts are available for them to take, even play Castle Wolfenstein on it using WINE. If they ask questions the store will offer to sell a PC with it pre-loaded. If they ask for a copy the shop will hand them one of my 8.04.1 LIVE CD's they keep behind the desk. The owner told me some people will walk in and take entire handfuls of free CD's. So this method seems to work well.

-AR

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Perhaps you should post it in that previous thread or start a new thread?

fiddledd
August 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I agree with what you have said, and can see the logic. But I think it should also be explained to those receiving the CD that recovering files is just one of the things it does. Maybe pretend you need to go online to check something so it dawns on them that it's actually an OS. I don't mean to be nit picking, it was just my first thought as I can see some people thinking it does nothing except recover data. :)

gnuvistawouldbecool
August 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
1. A friend of mine had her Windows unbootable and she was told by Dell they'd have to charge her several hundred dollars to recover her photos from the hard drive. I told her if she brought her laptop in, we could just take the photos off the hard drive with a Linux CD.

I had a similar occurrence with a friend at University, their XP wouldn't boot (for who knows what reason, though he did have some interesting looking suspicious files all over his C drive), and needed his computer to access files to revise for exams, so for a few days was running the 6.06 LTS. Apparently he didn't like the fact that like that he couldn't run youtube videos due to not wanting to install it properly due to fear of losing a large (illegal, most likely) music collection.

Actually that was what encouraged me to first install it, since I hadn't really tried it much since I had got that live CD but after that I installed it.

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I agree with what you have said, and can see the logic. But I think it should also be explained to those receiving the CD that recovering files is just one of the things it does. Maybe pretend you need to go online to check something so it dawns on them that it's actually an OS. I don't mean to be nit picking, it was just my first thought as I can see some people thinking it does nothing except recover data. :) That's a good point. I like the idea of "pretending" you need to go online to check something. You actually could go online and check something and not need to pretend (for example, viewing the tutorial through Firefox instead of printing it out). But it's a much better "sell" to have a "data recovery tool" that also does a whole bunch of stuff than to have a "Windows replacement" that doesn't run Windows software. Low expectations lead to pleasant surprises. High expectations often lead to disappointment.

I had a similar occurrence with a friend at University, their XP wouldn't boot (for who knows what reason, though he did have some interesting looking suspicious files all over his C drive), and needed his computer to access files to revise for exams, so for a few days was running the 6.06 LTS. Apparently he didn't like the fact that like that he couldn't run youtube videos due to not wanting to install it properly due to fear of losing a large (illegal, most likely) music collection.

Actually that was what encouraged me to first install it, since I hadn't really tried it much since I had got that live CD but after that I installed it. Well, in your situation, it seems to have been a good thing for Flash not to work. For your friend, Linux Mint might have been a better choice, I guess.

Sealbhach
August 5th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I've given CDs to my closest friends and I've been banging on about how great it is to have the freedom of Linux but I'm starting to get on their nerves so I'm going to have to stop.

None of them have even tried the Live CD - they all say they don't have the time to "get into all that".:(

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I've given CDs to my closest friends and I've been banging on about how great it is to have the freedom of Linux but I'm starting to get on their nerves so I'm going to have to stop.

None of them have even tried the Live CD - they all say they don't have the time to "get into all that".:(

Well-intentioned though you were, you probably were getting on their nerves, so it's good you stopped.

It's okay if they don't try the live CD now. Wait until Windows crashes and they need their data, though.

LaRoza
August 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Whatever I do, I must be doing right, as I get requests from people I don't know to install Linux for them (often they word it weird, but the idea is the same)

I once got up in the morning after sleeping in a bit, and found a computer in the house downstairs. I asked my brother about it (he was up) and he said I was supposed to "fix Windows and install Linux" on it. It was delivered by someone we know, but it wasn't for that person, but the co-worker.

I hear he uses Linux only now...

Before that, I was approached by someone in school whom I didn't know, and he said "I hear you use Linux..." and he wanted it also.

He uses Linux exclusively now also.

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Whatever I do, I must be doing right, as I get requests from people I don't know to install Linux for them (often they word it weird, but the idea is the same) Mind if I ask what you're doing?

Mazza558
August 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
1. Mention Ubuntu if the conversation drifts towards Windows problems.

2. If the person isn't ready in your opinion, suggest alternative apps to use, and if they ask "is there an app that does this", suggest FOSS.

3. Do your utmost to have a reputation as "a person who uses linux" as opposed to "that crazy software/linux zealot". DO NOT force change if it really isn't necessary or comfortable for the person at the receiving end.

4. If you have a successful convert on your hands, try and draw that user away from relying on you for support - give them chance to learn themselves and set up an Ubuntu Forums account for them.

5. Let them try it out! Grab your laptop if you have it, to show them.

6. Avoid being smug. Seriously. Yes, you might be using something which you feel to be superior in every way, but whoever sees your PC with Ubuntu is not going to like it if you have a smirk on your face when you're using it. Mac-using students do it all the time.
6.1 - A related note, don't bring your laptop into school/college /lectures/the workplace for no reason other than to show it off. Again, this screams elitism and smugness.

7. Compiz/visuals are secondary selling points. Show the FEATURES of Linux, otherwise it looks like a plaything. Cool effects on top of nice features will be appreciated.

Whoops, I almost wrote a guide on how to introduce people to Linux!

grossaffe
August 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I get exposure by running it on my laptop while on campus. A lot of times I'll just start playing with compiz. it gets people curious.

aysiu
August 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I like those points, Mazza558, particularly DO NOT force change if it really isn't necessary or comfortable for the person at the receiving end. and Avoid being smug.

LaRoza
August 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Mind if I ask what you're doing?

Not sure.

I do sometimes rub it in my brother's face, or people a few people I know that I use Linux, but I don't in general.

I didn't think about it when I brought it up, maybe I am just less "fanatical" in my approach and can get people interested. I think I am sensitive to the other person's needs more, so I can give good reasons to use it in a way they don't find aggressive.

StrawberryJam8
August 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I tried introducing my friends to VMWare and other Virtual Machines, they liked the idea and their fascination with running other OS's like Linux started from there.

TBOL3
August 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Yep I agree with you. I've had about 3 people switch in the past 4 months just from problems, or looking for apps (ones that didn't have windows ports).

ARhere
August 6th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I get exposure by running it on my laptop while on campus. A lot of times I'll just start playing with compiz. it gets people curious.

LMAO.. same here. The special effects on my PC when someone comes over always sparks a conversation. My windows burn up when I close them! ;-)

-AR

cardinals_fan
August 6th, 2008, 04:40 AM
My windows burn up when I close them! ;-)

Your eyes must hate you ;)

Methuselah
August 6th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I agree with the general idea of not overhyping linux but I think one risks going the other way and underselling it.
Many of the sites linked to on your blog as bad examples give genuine absolutely true reasons why linux is better: free, no viruses, better security etc. It's all true.
I don't think there is anything wrong with highlighting those virtues especially when there's also much unfounded negativity floating about.
If someone tries linux and determines it's not for them I don't think it's a big deal at all.

On a personal level I'm not big on breathing down people's necks to 'switch'.
(Though I have converted my father by installing linux on my main PC and buying him an EEPC.)

I'll mention I run linux and expound on it if asked but that's about it.
And I do think that in personal face-to-face exchanges one should be open about potential limitations.

However, I don't think it's the responsibility of every pro-linux website to give equal airtime to linux's flaws.
Advocacy has a place.

Real or imagined flaws are abundantly represented on other sites.
Anyone independently undertaking to use a different OS should do some research.

smartboyathome
August 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I agree with the general idea of not overhyping linux but I think one risks going the other way and underselling it.
Many of the sites linked to on your blog as bad examples give genuine absolutely true reasons why linux is better: free, no viruses, better security etc. It's all true.
I don't think there is anything wrong with highlighting those virtues especially when there's also much unfounded negativity floating about.
If someone tries linux and determines it's not for them I don't think it's a big deal at all.

On a personal level I'm not big on breathing down people's necks to 'switch'.
(Though I have converted my father by installing linux on my main PC and buying him an EEPC.)

I'll mention I run linux and expound on it if asked but that's about it.
And I do think that in personal face-to-face exchanges one should be open about potential limitations.

However, I don't think it's the responsibility of every pro-linux website to give equal airtime to linux's flaws.
Advocacy has a place.

Real or imagined flaws are abundantly represented on other sites.
Anyone independently undertaking to use a different OS should do some research.

The problem is, if you read my topic (which Aysiu links to in the first post), not mentioning the flaws gives either the impression that Linux will not have any problems whatsoever (which isn't true), or that you are trying to "sell" them something, which is not what we want to do. Givng them flaws makes you sound honest, hiding the flaws is what a sales person would do.

Methuselah
August 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
The problem is, if you read my topic (which Aysiu links to in the first post), not mentioning the flaws gives either the impression that Linux will not have any problems whatsoever (which isn't true), or that you are trying to "sell" them something, which is not what we want to do. Givng them flaws makes you sound honest, hiding the flaws is what a sales person would do.

Yes, I agree with you in one on one interaction but a passive website is something different.
I don't think I'm over-hyping linux if I start a website with the sole purposes of highlighting what it does well.
I don't have to say it won't run windows programs.
I don't have to say some hardware might not be supported,
And I certainly don't have to say it's not windows..it's called LINUX!

Unless you were aggressively 'converted' PERSONALLY I don't think you have any scope to say you were misled by websites when all viewpoints are out there (though not necessarily from the same source).
There are even LiveCDs that allow trying linux distributions before touching your machine.

To be clear, I'm definitely not in favor of 'converting' someone on a personal basis without giving all the relevant facts.
However, I'm not of the view that linux cannot have advocacy websites that don't draw attention to its perceived flaws.

aysiu
August 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Yes, I agree with you in one on one interaction but a passive website is something different.
I don't think I'm over-hyping linux if I start a website with the sole purposes of highlighting what it does well.
I don't have to say it won't run windows programs.
I don't have to say some hardware might not be supported,
And I certainly don't have to say it's not windows..it's called LINUX! Well, you don't really have to say anything. But it's ethical and ultimately for the good of the person reading your site if you're honest about some hardware not being supported and not running a lot of Windows programs.

The problem is that when Linux is overhyped and people are disappointed, they don't just say "Oh, well. That wasn't for me." Often they then feel misled and decide to post angry "Linux isn't ready for the desktop!" or "Ubuntu sucks" threads in the Ubuntu Testimonials and Experiences subforums.

If you give realistic expectations to people, they're far more likely to either stay and be happy with Linux or leave and not regret that they tried Linux (even though it's not for them).

Yes, there's plenty of sites out there badmouthing Linux and spreading FUD, but then it actually is to our benefit to be honest about the real (and not imagined) shortcomings of Linux ourselves and not make it seem as if we are "fanboys" who don't acknowledge anything is wrong with Linux... which will push people looking for a more balanced picture to seek out the FUD to counter all the only-pro-Linux propaganda they've read from Linux advocates.

jeyaganesh
August 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Again you are hyping here about linux. You are talking about system recovery and canvasing people to try linux. Still I need more from linux to work normal like in windows or mac. I need support for webcam, voice conversing IM, good photo organizer and better sound quality.

I think from last version only Linux provide separate folders for video, music and documents. Most of the linux users learn it from their teenage. They can work with commands. You have to understand the needs of other lay men. We just need our computer to work. We dont want to work with Terminals to fix problems. We want to swim on the surface, dont have interest in scuba diving.

From the latest development in linux, I hope in two to five years, linux will provide easier environment to work with.

aysiu
August 6th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Again you are hyping here about linux. You are talking about system recovery and canvasing people to try linux. Well, no, actually, I'm not. I'm saying that using Linux for system recovery purposes is a good way to expose people to Linux without trying to convert people to Linux.

Please tell me how I have hyped up Linux. Please give me some details. I haven't said it's better than Windows, that it will run all your applications, or make you immediately productive. All I said is it's a free, easy way to recover your files. That's it. How is that hype?

Nothing I've said is untrue or an exaggeration. You can use Linux to save files from an unbootable Windows. You can also use it to recover files that have been deleted. Those are factual statements.

I need support for webcam, voice conversing IM, good photo organizer and better sound quality. What does that have anything to do with what I've said? You must have been reading something other than my original post.

jeyaganesh
August 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Linux might be strong in recovering data. But my desire is it should be strong in all other features to get more users.

aysiu
August 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Linux might be strong in recovering data. But my desire is it should be strong in all other features to get more users.
You may be right, but I think that's a topic for a different thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=450676)

toupeiro
August 6th, 2008, 06:56 AM
How I expose windows users to Linux without evangelizing:

Scene: Me and two close friends. Friend One, a co-worker and windows server admin, Friend 2 not of a technical background, but an online gamer (WoW).

Friend 2: Do you mind if I jump on WoW for a bit?

Me: Sure, go ahead, Icon's on the desktop...

15 minutes later and various conversations...

Friend 2: This runs smoother than on my machine at home.

Friend 1: Are you still running WoW through Wine?

Me: Yep.

Friend 1: Hit Ctrl-R, let me see the FPS you're getting.

<ctrl-R pressed>

Friend 1: huh... yeah, thats a little better FPS than I get there too. What Card are you running?

Me: Gefore 7950GT

Friend 1: Same here... Wow, Wine has come a long way, thats really cool.

Now, one could say this evangelizes wine, and perhaps it does, but it moreso has the windows server admin recognizing a windows native program running better in a linux environment, with linux graphics drivers, than on Windows. Sometimes, linux does a great job at speaking for itself. Words tend to get in the way at times. :)

Methuselah
August 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Well, you don't really have to say anything. But it's ethical and ultimately for the good of the person reading your site if you're honest about some hardware not being supported and not running a lot of Windows programs.

If the scope of my site is talking about linux advantages I don't think I am under no obligation, ethical or otherwise, to bring up perceived flaws.
And I say 'perceived' because not running a certain windows program may not be relevant to the person reading.
It's not like linux periodically wipes your hard-disk.

The problem is that when Linux is overhyped and people are disappointed, they don't just say "Oh, well. That wasn't for me." Often they then feel misled and decide to post angry "Linux isn't ready for the desktop!" or "Ubuntu sucks" threads in the Ubuntu Testimonials and Experiences subforums.

I don't think Linux is over-hyped.
I bet many people haven't even heard of it.
The only possible 'benefit' to burying people with supposed linux flaws is to have them say "Linux is not ready for the desktop" before they actually try it rather than after.

Besides, being convinced to try linux because of positive reports and then not liking it is no excuse for exaggerated comments.
Windows users are accustomed to shareware applications that are promoted by their makers and which can be downloaded and tried.
What do they do when a downloaded program is found to be unsuitable?

If you give realistic expectations to people, they're far more likely to either stay and be happy with Linux or leave and not regret that they tried Linux (even though it's not for them).

And most of the sites you linked to were realistic.
It *IS* true that linux is free, and very unlikely to get infected with viruses and very stable among other things.
The site that DID mention some potential transition issues for windows users did not display it prominently enough for you.
This despite the fact that it was displayed with the same font and graphics as the positive points.
It's almost as if you want an advocacy site to give MORE attention to possible issues than to possible benefits.
I think that is going too far in the interest of being balanced.

Yes, there's plenty of sites out there badmouthing Linux and spreading FUD, but then it actually is to our benefit to be honest about the real (and not imagined) shortcomings of Linux ourselves and not make it seem as if we are "fanboys" who don't acknowledge anything is wrong with Linux... which will push people looking for a more balanced picture to seek out the FUD to counter all the only-pro-Linux propaganda they've read from Linux advocates.

As I said, all the sites I checked from your blog were honest.
I don't think any made exaggerated claims.

Let me just say that I fundamentally agree with you in principle.
It's just the degree to which you're applying the principle that I differ with.

I thought your writing on linux was balanced.
Your prose style lends itself to creating a full picture.
However, approaches differ and I don't think sites that genuinely point out the benefits of linux are being dishonest if they fail to anticipate and point out all the difficulties a new user may have.

In my view, over-hyping involves claiming capabilities that don't exist.
Failing to emphasize that the reader *might* not like linux because they are too used to windows is not, in my view, over-hyping.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I think the point of Linux is that it is something you discover on your own, and not because someone recommended it to you. If you can get someone interested in it, that's great. But don't try to pass it off as the solution to every computer problem. Likewise, don't make it sound like Linux is the only way to go.

People have their own opinions. It is a human right to be able to think freely. You can pique their interest, but you shouldn't try to push an idea or opinion onto someone.

I think it's the attitude generated by trying too hard to convince or persuade someone to use Linux that is creating this "Linux Youth" generation of zealots.

Methuselah
August 6th, 2008, 08:06 AM
There are many people who are now quite happy someone recommended linux to them.
Just because the sour pusses are the most vocal doesn't mean they're in the majority.

Word of mouth and recommendation is what has also created many happy firefox users, myself among them.
Frankly, I think the idea that linux should not be promoted is without merit.

karellen
August 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
as usual when it comes to aysiu, very insightful and to the point. I believe people tend to become defensive when they feel that their choices are bashed and attacked ("I use Linux so I'm smarter than you, average Windows user"); I've noticed people react with hostility if their choices (be it in cars, clothes, computers or music) are criticized. they don't want to be patronized and thus they are very unwilling to try something new, as suggested. I'd say better make them curious than try to open their minds :D

ARhere
August 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Look, I say we don't bother evangelizing, but we simply threaten to sue and take any business out that even thinks of selling another OS. THEN, we can have internet resources check their PC when they are online, and if a genuine Ubuntu installation is not found, we activate a hidden kernel tool that keeps the PC from booting. If anything is wrong with the OS, then we simply fix it and offer the fix as an "upgrade" for a small fee to pay for our horde of lawyers!!! MUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA....
sorry, momentary lapse there.
-AR

whayong
August 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I don't even bother to preach. I'll talk about it when asked. I also set up a workstation here at work in my department where we compile all our MP3's. It now serves as our music/database/print server/spare workstation with internet access. Some co-workers are intrigued by it and other have learned to use it/enjoy it all on their own.