PDA

View Full Version : linux: to use it or not to

sujoy
August 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Oh boy I am tired of hearing people whine and gripe about how bad Linux/Unix is compared to their windows boxes. Some even went as far as saying that Linux still looks like it was made in the 60s. Now while I am no fanboy and I dont push people to use Linux, I am really sad at these uninformed assumptions and impressions these people have about it.

Hence I came about with reasons not to use linux (http://binarycodes.blogspot.com/2008/08/reasons-not-to-use-linux.html). Really this (http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/08/5-reasons-not-to-move-to-linux/) article almost got me enraged.

phew. ok end of rant.

tamoneya
August 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Please dont read this blog then. http://jerryleecooper.com/

The more you read the worse it gets.

original_jamingrit
August 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Hence I came about with reasons not to use linux (http://binarycodes.blogspot.com/2008/08/reasons-not-to-use-linux.html)...

Very well written. One of the finer points of Linux advocacy is to make sure potential linux users know that Linux isn't Windows, and this does that fairly well. Good job!

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
If you want a system that someone has set up for you with their own preferences and their guesses towards yours, don't get linux. It's not a one-size-fits all tee shirt. It's more like cloth with which you can build your system the way you like it. If you don't want to download the whole thing and spend a while setting it up only to find you've now got a piece of cloth, don't get linux. I'm not a huge fan of the CLI, but sometimes, it works, whereas a GUI doesn't. I'm a fan of doing what it takes to make it run the way you like it. (i.e. a linux user. (Though a very new linux user, still..))

Anyway, that's my view on the thing.

Ozor Mox
August 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Are you sure that isn't a parody site like linuxsucks.com is (I think)?

Its clearly evident that vista is the future.One only has to watch TV for a short period of time and see the advertising.
WOW !!
I personally love the part where the young man is taking a stroll in the delightful snow covered streets, and sees firsthand a young deer with a gleefull glint in its eye. It sends a shiver down my spine. WOW is all I can say.
Vista is clearly the future of enterprise computing.

tamoneya
August 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Are you sure that isn't a parody site like linuxsucks.com is (I think)?

it is a parody site. I never said it wasnt.

sujoy
August 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM

haha... that was a good read. lol, mySQL and postgre are sharewares :lolflag:
specially enjoyed his view on vista :)

Very well written. One of the finer points of Linux advocacy is to make sure potential linux users know that Linux isn't Windows, and this does that fairly well. Good job!

ya well, just wish we could use the internet for getting information first before whining in some corner.

ok i am pretty relaxed now. :)

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM

haha. "Your mom gives it up." I don't know if he does have a valid point.. I don't know anything about SQL servers.. But if his grammar is an indicator of his intelligence, he's a person I would nod along with, then go about my business..
(And grammar is almost always an indicator of intelligence.. although not always of wisdom.)

Chame_Wizard
August 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
stupid person :(

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Me? Only when it suits me to be.

sujoy
August 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM

if ya mean the grammar thing then i am with ya :(

Me? Only when it suits me to be.
no, i believe its just an indication towards "And grammar is almost always an indicator of intelligence", hence the converse

estyles
August 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Oh god, that jerryleecooper site is gold. I don't care if the guy is serious or not, anybody that says that a store will pay you $600 to take RAM, CPU, and a HD off their hands (that's +$200 for the RAM, CPU, and Harddrive, and -$800 saved for waiting to buy them), is a comedic genius.

Come on guys, Vista took many years and $9 billion to make. No way Linux can pop up overnight and just run the computer without using windows stuff too. Let's get serious... :)

jcway212
August 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
haha. "Your mom gives it up." I don't know if he does have a valid point.. I don't know anything about SQL servers.. But if his grammar is an indicator of his intelligence, he's a person I would nod along with, then go about my business..
(And grammar is almost always an indicator of intelligence.. although not always of wisdom.)

After reading this...I was so tempted to pull apart this post for grammatical errors...But I won't. :lolflag:

RiceMonster
August 5th, 2008, 08:33 PM
The first article was actually very good. I agree with everything he said there. ESPECIALLY point 3.

kirsis
August 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Best not get riled up about this sort of thing, it's very common unfortunately.

And I bet the original 5 reason guy pulled the one about GIMP outta his *** :P

FranMichaels
August 5th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Best not get riled up about this sort of thing, it's very common unfortunately.

And I bet the original 5 reason guy pulled the one about GIMP outta his *** :P

Agreed. I don't want to generalize too much (well maybe a little here...) but some of these people are likely paid to have that opinion. Or are tied to Microsoft in terms of their job or what they know.

My 2 cents.

sujoy
August 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
The first article was actually very good. I agree with everything he said there. ESPECIALLY point 3.

thank you :)

Agreed. I don't want to generalize too much (well maybe a little here...) but some of these people are likely paid to have that opinion. Or are tied to Microsoft in terms of their job or what they know.

My 2 cents.

or they are too used to microsoft's way of computing to even believe that a viable alternative exists, and hence tries to bash it every other way, just like some of us linux users love to hate microsoft for whatever reason available.

Manan
August 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Oh boy I am tired of hearing people whine and gripe about how bad Linux/Unix is compared to their windows boxes. Some even went as far as saying that Linux still looks like it was made in the 60s. Now while I am no fanboy and I dont push people to use Linux, I am really sad at these uninformed assumptions and impressions these people have about it.

Hence I came about with reasons not to use linux (http://binarycodes.blogspot.com/2008/08/reasons-not-to-use-linux.html). Really this (http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/08/5-reasons-not-to-move-to-linux/) article almost got me enraged.

phew. ok end of rant.Just to ask why did my article enrage you?

sujoy
August 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just to ask why did my article enrage you?

Well, to start with the point about "Too Many Choices", I (and I hope a lot of people) see choices in life as a blessing that gives us freedom, like I can choose what type of music I want, I shall also choose what player I play it with and likewise.

About playing mp3 out of the box, well its just that mp3 codecs and USA doesn't go well together, so its a legal issue for Ubuntu (and most linux distros do come with mp3 codecs, so I don't know why they don't have problem).

About compiling applications, you mostly would want to do that if you want 0day releases, otherwise most distros (both fedora and ubuntu incl) have a package manager that does the job for you. Besides, rpm and deb packages are widely available. However, if u dont need to compile, its mostly just a configure-make-make install or sh install.sh. How tough is that when you consider that you still donot have to pay a cent for it?

There are hundreds of people getting answers from the community everyday that solves their problem, including me. So I fail to see how one can percieve community based services (that accounts for the knowledge base of people around the world), as bad.

Driver issue is something I agree with as Lexmark printers dont work well, and broadcom for some are nightmare. However, linux still supports a far greater number of systems, while getting almost little or no support from manufactures (not all but most of them).

As for internet, well there is paid support over telephone as some commented, and for softwares, if most distros doesn't give you enough, (ubuntu doesn't have much in the installation disc), get the 3 DVD pack of debian.

ANd offcourse its a new environment. Linux is not windows, Linux is not Mac. Agreed, you have to know a dozen commands for administration and stuffs, compare that with finding an option nested somewhere in the drop down menus, or was it in the preferences section!

I hope we are not getting into a flame war. My post was just to put things in the right perspective.

Manan
August 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Well, to start with the point about "Too Many Choices", I (and I hope a lot of people) see choices in life as a blessing that gives us freedom, like I can choose what type of music I want, I shall also choose what player I play it with and likewise.

About playing mp3 out of the box, well its just that mp3 codecs and USA doesn't go well together, so its a legal issue for Ubuntu (and most linux distros do come with mp3 codecs, so I don't know why they don't have problem).

About compiling applications, you mostly would want to do that if you want 0day releases, otherwise most distros (both fedora and ubuntu incl) have a package manager that does the job for you. Besides, rpm and deb packages are widely available. However, if u dont need to compile, its mostly just a configure-make-make install or sh install.sh. How tough is that when you consider that you still donot have to pay a cent for it?

There are hundreds of people getting answers from the community everyday that solves their problem, including me. So I fail to see how one can percieve community based services (that accounts for the knowledge base of people around the world), as bad.

Driver issue is something I agree with as Lexmark printers dont work well, and broadcom for some are nightmare. However, linux still supports a far greater number of systems, while getting almost little or no support from manufactures (not all but most of them).

As for internet, well there is paid support over telephone as some commented, and for softwares, if most distros doesn't give you enough, (ubuntu doesn't have much in the installation disc), get the 3 DVD pack of debian.

ANd offcourse its a new environment. Linux is not windows, Linux is not Mac. Agreed, you have to know a dozen commands for administration and stuffs, compare that with finding an option nested somewhere in the drop down menus, or was it in the preferences section!

I hope we are not getting into a flame war. My post was just to put things in the right perspective.

Well, we can agree to dis-agree. My post was not meant to be a hate post and I intend to keep it that way. BTW, you might want to read how some FOSS fanatics ruin the good work done by many like you. When people start saying that they support piracy as opposed to DRM, it casts a shadow on the self-less work done by many OSS supporters.

sujoy
August 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Well, we can agree to dis-agree. My post was not meant to be a hate post and I intend to keep it that way. BTW, you might want to read how some FOSS fanatics ruin the good work done by many like you. When people start saying that they support piracy as opposed to DRM, it casts a shadow on the self-less work done by many OSS supporters.

Point acknowledged.
May the source be with you. ( ok that was a rip off from Star Wars :) )
:guitar:

Manan
August 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Point acknowledged.
May the source be with you. ( ok that was a rip off from Star Wars :) )
:guitar:
I use Windows, I don't have the source. you guys have the source. :D :lolflag: