PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] changing hard drives and keeping data?

waggingwabbit
August 5th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I just got me a new mobo and stuff for a new comp, but currently I have my old IDE hard drive plugged in waiting for a good deal on a SATA HD. I just got one now and am wondering if its possible to completely transfer everything from my old HD onto the new one so I wouldn't have to reinstall everything and all...is that possible?

darco
August 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM
You swapped out the Mobo but still have the old HD connected? Wow, I would think just by that you would have issues. Typically if the Mobo chipset is the same as the old mobo, your data should be safe and shouldnt have other issues. I would do a fresh install on the new drive....but again I am assuming we are talking Linux here so who knows if that does not apply to this OS.

good luck

darco

SkonesMickLoud
August 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599599

waggingwabbit
August 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
lol! yeah, i asked online somewhere else before doing it and people told me i should do a clean start cause i'll be having problems. I'm dual booting and have 3 partitions. ubuntu 8, xp and a shared. no problems in ubuntu or windows so far. i went from a amd athlon 64 to a intel quad.

i didn't look at that link yet, but the title of it says ubuntu...does it work for a dual booting set up too? Sorry for not looking at it more thoroughly, I'm really tired and sleepy and my eyes want to close....