PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows disc won't boot after ubuntu is installed

dan245dl
August 5th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I removed windows xp to install ubuntu, and all was well until i realized i needed windows. I want to install windows 2000, but whenever i put the disc in, the computer seems to ignore it and go straight to grub. The bios is set to where CD boots in priority to HDD, but even so, it goes straight to ubuntu.

I desperately need windows back for a job i'm doing. If anyone has had this problem and knows of a solution, please please reply.

Thanks again everyone,

Dan

darco
August 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Windows needs to be installed first (windows boot manger preference) then you could install another OS. Your scenario wont work....
Why dont you install virtualization software,either Virtual Box or VMWare then you can load Windows w/o having to create a partition. Way easier

good luck
dacro

jualin
August 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I removed windows xp to install ubuntu, and all was well until i realized i needed windows. I want to install windows 2000, but whenever i put the disc in, the computer seems to ignore it and go straight to grub. The bios is set to where CD boots in priority to HDD, but even so, it goes straight to ubuntu.

I desperately need windows back for a job i'm doing. If anyone has had this problem and knows of a solution, please please reply.

Thanks again everyone,

Dan

Ubuntu doesn't change the BIOS options so your problem is not related with Ubuntu, it's more likely a problem with the BIOS configurations, your Cdrom, or your Windows CD. The person above me suggested Virtualization which works great on Ubuntu. Pretty much it will let you run Windows within Linux. You can install the package "virtualbox-ose" using Synaptic or via terminal
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose

jualin
August 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Windows needs to be installed first (windows boot manger preference) then you could install another OS. Your scenario wont work....

good luck
dacro

:KS Windows doesn't need to be installed to install another Operating System. Maybe what you meant was that it's easier to Dual Boot if you have Windows install first instead of installing Windows after Ubuntu is installed.

SkonesMickLoud
August 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Windows needs to be installed first

No it doesn't.

Dan:

Can your Windows needs be satisfied by using Wine?

sudo aptitude install wine

jualin
August 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
No it doesn't.

Dan:

Can your Windows needs be satisfied by using Wine?

sudo aptitude install wine

Check if the application that you want to use can be run by WINE, here is the website (http://appdb.winehq.com/). Wine makes running a Windows Application run almost natively in Linux.

dan245dl
August 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Well, the piece of software that i use crashes consistently under wine and has many unusable features.

If my scenario is impossible, does that mean that my computer is pretty much locked into Ubuntu forever?

thanks for all the replies!

coffeecat
August 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Let's go back to your first post. You said that the BIOS was set to boot from the CD first, but that the Windows CD won't boot up. Have you tried any other bootable CD, such as the Ubuntu live CD to ensure that the BIOS is working correctly?

If the Ubuntu live CD boots up and the Windows one doesn't, then perhaps the Windows CD is faulty. Have you tried booting the Windows CD in another machine to check whether this is so or not? You don't have to install - just try to boot up.

Or another possibilty if no bootable CD boots up is that the optical drive is failing.

dan245dl
August 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The Ubuntu Disc boots, but the windows disc will not. the windows disc boots happily in any other PC. The optical drive functions properly because after it ignores my cd and goes to Ubuntu, the Windows 2000 disc shows up on the desktop.

jualin
August 6th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Can you try another Windows 2000 cd? If everything else fails you can uninstall Ubuntu by using the Ubuntu LiveCD to format the partitions to NTFS (Windows File System) and then trying to install Windows 2000, since Ubuntu wouldn't be there. However I doubt that Ubuntu is causing this, since Ubuntu cannot "choose" what disc you boot from. Good luck!