PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing ubuntu to another hard drive

trebllaw
August 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I've currently installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron [Ultimate Edition, saw one link here in the forum] to my external hard drive and it boots perfectly.

Now my friend is envious and wants me to install it to his internal hard drive as his primary operating system.

What I am thinking is to boot from his machine using my external hard drive [the live dvd rom of the hardy ultimate edition doesnt work for him] and install from there to his internal hard drive.. Is that possible? If so, could someone guide me as to how to install it to his hard drive?

Could someone please help me?

donfletcher
August 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
The concept of having a portable HD that one could walk from one computer to another and just plug the cable in to have that computer boot on this drive would be great.

But is there not a lot of configuring that goes on after copying files from CD to the portable HD? Would that configuration be right for a different computer?

trebllaw
August 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Ive already installed ubuntu to the portable drive and have already booted from it on several computers already. so far, only the resolution changes from computer to computer.

What i am trying to figure out is how to install ubuntu to another hard drive without using the live cd [e.g. boot from the portable hard drive and install ubuntu to the second hard drive from there?

Anyone got ideas?