View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dapper ipw3945abg via NDISwrapper?

August 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi All:

First, please don't laugh because I'm still running Dapper. :) I need an LTS release, and Hardy is NQTY, from my experimentations.

I have an HP dv6000 series notebook with the Intel 3945abg wireless card. I've tried many of the posted solutions to get the ipw3945 driver to work, and none seem to do it for me.

I thought I might try NDISwrapper, but I don't know how to tell the kernel not to load the ipw3945 driver. I'd like to do this before loading NDISwrapper so that everything stays very clean.

Any help would be appreciated.

August 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
kde or gnome?

August 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Open a terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistWhen the text editor opens, add the following on it's own line:
blacklist ipw3945Proofread, save and close. Upon reboot, ipw3945 will not be loaded, which you can verify with:
lsmod | grep ipwIf this command shows no result, then it's not loaded.

August 5th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Gnome. Sorry, I should have specified. I think I'll try chili555's method and see how that works.

August 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks a bunch for the blacklist tip. I'll give this a try, and then report back on how NDISwrapper works for my instance of 3945abg-itis.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the iwlwifi/iwl3945 drivers have settled down recently? When I tried Hardy back in April/May, they didn't work at all for me. That would be another possible solution, in case NDISwrapper doesn't work out.

Thanks Again!

August 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
does anyone know whether the iwlwifi/iwl3945 drivers have settled down recently?I am running Hardy and it works perfectly for me. The package linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic evidently has a better driver in it and got my LED working. I think a lot of wireless issues are actually Network Manager issues. If you can scan and see networks and put the correct encryption key in the correct place, ASCII, HEX, PSK, TKIP, etc., then you can connect.

I don't know how I could make my 3945ABG any better if I had the technology and the money!