PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Installation of Ubuntu on laptop, wireless/internet connectivity assistance

bizdcrawl
August 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I just installed the latest version of Ubuntu on my laptop as a partition. Everything is fine and peachy. I am a totally satisfied customer so far.

My next project is to get the wired/wireless internet working and obtain all the necessary hardware drivers. I have a Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M Ethernet controller and a BCM4312 network controller. But, by default, my computer is not picking up either connection. :(

so, what should be my next logical step to get the internet working and get my drivers in place. Any links, suggestions would be greatly awesome.

Thank You.

bizdcrawl
August 5th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I tried "lshw -C network" and the network card had no driver description. Umm...I thought this version of Ubuntu came with driver support for Broadcom 43xx cards :confused:

So, now that I know I dont have network drivers, can some one suggest me a link on how to obtain and install the drivers? The ndiswrapper thingy

Please... :sad:

ezsurfer
August 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I merely went to administration, found the networking tab, followed it, finally got my security setup correct, and it picked up the wireless right away.

System - Administration - Networking...

bizdcrawl
August 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
hey,

I went into system-administration-network and instead of enable roaming I had "enable this connection" option. I checked it, put in my network name and the network password and set it to DHCP. But as said earlier, my laptop doesnt show any driver per se for the network card. I'd imagine it should say or mention ndiswrapper details??

bizdcrawl
August 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I cant wait to get this thing working :tongue:

bizdcrawl
August 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM
here's what sudo lshw -C network said

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:10:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1a:4b:8d:59:bd
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.86 duplex=full latency=0 link=no module=tg3 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4312 802.11a/b/g
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:30:00.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:00:00:1a:73:e3
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

ezsurfer
August 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I checked it again, because it was harder to set up this time. Still, eventually, I kept bouncing back and forth between it and network tools so I could ping the router (192.168.1.1) on most systems.

Once it pinged, it worked fine. Not sure why, but the first 3 or so times I set it up it did not allow the connection.

Finally went back to exactly what I wrote you, set the password up in openoffice so i could verify the WEP key wasn't getting set wrong, and pasted it in, and it locked right in and pinged, so now it's back on wireless.