PDA

View Full Version : GAK! I need a new ogg player

TBOL3
August 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Alright, the power button just broke on my iAudio g3 (and I can't get it open to save my life), which means that it's now next to useless.. So, I'm now in the market for a new player. And I'm about to throw in the towel. I need at least 1 gb, FM radio, some basic bookmarking features (when I turn it off, it will start in the same place on the same file), act as a usb mass storage device, and finally, play ogg. I can find players that meats all of them (except ogg) for around $20. But I can't find a player that can play ogg. (for a reasonable amount, and no, I thought the g3, when I bought it, was overpriced). Can anyone please help me?

Thank you.

TBOL3
August 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hmph, I was looking at a coby mp-705 4 gb. Becasue buy.com said it played ogg, but then, after I was looking at the users manual, it said that it didn't play ogg. I'm so fed up, that I'm 1/2 considering buying a small lappy, and using that as an audio player.

Lostincyberspace
August 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
you could get an old Ipod and load it with rockbox.

grossaffe
August 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
you could get an old Ipod and load it with rockbox.

Or any of the other rockbox targets. no need to buy the apple name if its rockbox you want.

TBOL3
August 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM
After looking, it does look like rockbox wouldn't really be the best option for me. I really like a small gap between songs. And from what I can tell, rockbox still has quite a few bugs (shorter battery life is a real killer, along with some other file playing bugs). Not to mention, the only player that looks like I'm willing to pay for is the sandisk and gigabeat, which don't look like their too well supported.

I would also like to use the original firmware if that is an option.

Lostincyberspace
August 5th, 2008, 05:09 AM
getting a ogg player for under ~ $20 is kind of hard. Well getting an ogg player is kind of hard any way.

TBOL3
August 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM
No, not under ~$20, but around $30-$50. I am considering one from fuji labs at the moment.

grossaffe
August 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM
After looking, it does look like rockbox wouldn't really be the best option for me. I really like a small gap between songs. And from what I can tell, rockbox still has quite a few bugs (shorter battery life is a real killer, along with some other file playing bugs). Not to mention, the only player that looks like I'm willing to pay for is the sandisk and gigabeat, which don't look like their too well supported.

I would also like to use the original firmware if that is an option.

I think battery life is only a problem for portalplayer targets (such as my sansa) but it has been greatly improved as of late. but the decision's yours.

wickstopher
August 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM
You can get a new iAUDIO 7 (made by Cowon) for around 100 bucks on Amazon. The 4GB model is $108, and the 8GB is $136 USD. I got my girlfriend the 8GB model for Christmas last year and she loves it. It's a tiny flash-based player, has UNBELIEVEABLE battery life (advertised battery life is 60 hours, easily gets 40+ hours), OGG and FLAC support, super easy to use in Linux (drag and drop like an external hard drive, easy integration with Amarok), FM Radio (with the option to record from radio to the disk). Pretty much everything it seems you're looking for minus the price tag, which in all honesty is pretty reasonable for what you get.

wolfen69
August 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm so fed up, that I'm 1/2 considering buying a small lappy, and using that as an audio player.

how about the EeePC?

Changturkey
August 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but if it only has 2/4/8 GBs of Storage, I mean my modest collection of ~1500 songs is 9 GB so erghhh, I'd go with the Cowon Iaudio 7.

Afkpuz
August 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I highly recommend rockbox. I have an old toshiba f20 with rockbox and couldn't be happier. I can watch movies, play any format of audio, and generally do everything I'd want an mp3 player to do, including playlists. Plus, the interface from player to computer is drag and drop. I just drag my music folder into the rockbox and thats it. Plus, I think you could find an f20 for cheap. But I +1 the rockbox posts

As for problems with rockbox, I get none on my f20. There is a slight delay between songs, but not bad. I don't have any problems with it and rockbox keeps getting updated too.

TBOL3
August 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I just got a sandisk c250, for about ~$30, and after I put rockbox on, I'm loving it.

Three things though:

1. Is there anyway I can make the font bigger, I can't seem to find an option for that, and for those of us with low vision, it's very difficult to see (this is less of a problem with the synthisized voice saying everything).

2. I can't get doom to work. Not that big of a deal, but hay, why not.

3. For some reason, it's idea of connecting to the computer is loading up the old firmware, and then connecting. The old firmware will only work on linux half of the time (I'm guessing the other half of the time it is using windows media player's type of connection, and thus, I can't change anything). Is there anything I can do about that?

lefen
August 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I think that the Sandisk Sansa Clip has all the features you are looking for (although a quick search says you'll be spending between 30-50 dollars, rather than 20). In particular, the Clip supports .ogg in the latest firmware update.

Hope that helps! :>

Afkpuz
October 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
If you want larger font, you'll need to download some new fonts. I don't think you can change the size manually. Check the rockbox website for themes and fonts.

spoons
October 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I bought a ChiPod today (iPod clone) it has 2gb of memory (not memory hacked like some), FM radio, video playback and although it does not say on the box, it also plays ogg vorbis.

Best of all it was only £35!

days_of_ruin
October 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
the Sansa Fuze recently got a firmware update that adds support for ogg and flac (http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=4880).