PDA

View Full Version : Looking to learn how to hack on hardware

neurostu
August 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM
So like the title says I'm looking to get into some hardware hacking/moding....

I think for my first task I'd like to buy a eeepc and mod it out... there are lots of tutorials on line and such, plus i think it would be great to have a little eeepc with GPS location, FM Transmitter, and a Touch Screen! (BTW has anybody else done this, what were your experiences?)

Anyway I'm trying to figure out what all the supplies I'll need are (I know I'll need a soldering iron, I just don't know what is a good brand) and possibly some other fun projects that will help me get started....

Pretty much I'm asking for anybody to say anything that might give me direction....

adamogardner
August 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM
sounds like fun. spend 20 dollars on a soldering iron and about the same for solder remover, as well as possibly a workstation with sponge and alligotor clips. First time doing electronics?

neurostu
August 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I've done some soldering in the past, nothing major though... I'd really like to better understand the internals of my computer!

Can you seriously find a good soldering iron for 20bucks? I've been looking around and there are a ton with prices ranging from 5 bucks to 200

geogur
August 5th, 2008, 03:34 AM
did you say you can turn a eeepc into a gps? i am very interested in finding out how to do this if it can be done.

RedPandaFox
August 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Im selling my 2gb eeepc surf if you want that? Also i was looking at modding it, there is an eeepc surf kit for like $50, no soldering needed to put the 7" touch screen on and extra USB ports internaly for Bluetooth etc if you were interested in that.
I was going to get one for my 2gb and my girlfriends 4gb but Im moving overseas so i cant spend any extra money.

neurostu
August 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
did you say you can turn a eeepc into a gps? i am very interested in finding out how to do this if it can be done.

There are lots of different places on the internet where I've seen people mod there eeepc into a GPS unit... I'm not sure how well it works in linux though... most examples i have seen are people running windows.

But think eeepc plus:
touch screen
fm transmitter
gps navigation
extra 8-16gb for music

you get the ultimate device for your car...

some people have even added HSDPA modems to theirs for internet anywhere access.

RedPandaFox
August 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM
There are plenty of tutorials on this, realy easy to find, I was thinking about doing this but I just didnt have the time or the money to :(

mips
August 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
(I know I'll need a soldering iron, I just don't know what is a good brand)

Weller (http://www.cooperhandtools.com/weller/index.cfm) is a very good brand and will probably last you for life. A temperature controlled soldering station with a very fine tip is usually a good buy. WLC100 should be fine for home use.

zachtib
August 9th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I've done some soldering in the past, nothing major though... I'd really like to better understand the internals of my computer!

Can you seriously find a good soldering iron for 20bucks? I've been looking around and there are a ton with prices ranging from 5 bucks to 200

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/69d3/

adamogardner
August 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
!Can you seriously find a good soldering iron for 20bucks? I've been looking around and there are a ton with prices ranging from 5 bucks to 200
absolutely!
sudo apt-get install qucs. It's an educational program for circuits.

neurostu
August 10th, 2008, 01:47 AM
So if you can get a good soldering iron for 20 bucks what do you get with the iron that costs 10 times the price?

Also does anybody know of any good GPS/Map software that runs in ubuntu?

adamogardner
August 10th, 2008, 03:27 AM
So if you can get a good soldering iron for 20 bucks what do you get with the iron that costs 10 times the price?

Also does anybody know of any good GPS/Map software that runs in ubuntu?

i don't know, please post when you find out.

oh btw, are you studying neurology? I did. It's such an amazing thing to learn

neurostu
August 11th, 2008, 12:19 AM
i don't know, please post when you find out.

oh btw, are you studying neurology? I did. It's such an amazing thing to learn

Not neurology (if you're refering to the Medical field) but I'm am a graduate student of Neuroscience. Yes it really is a fascinating field.

markbuntu
August 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
get yourself a dremel tool. They are good for cutting nice clean holes in the cases and cutting off the legs of chips and stuff.

adamogardner
August 13th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I found this:

"Satellite Recievers:

* DirecPC FTP dir Drivers and docs.
* Helius company Said to have a $ driver for DirecPC.
* There is a "alt.satellite.direcpc" newsgroup.

GPS:

* There's a driver for the "Novatel 8 bit ISA bus GPScard" available from Tom Atkinson ("tom(at)tyco.net.au").
* Mayko's Xmap GPS plotting, map viewing, other GIS. [LJ ad]
* Fleet Computer Systems Not Linux related. Good GPS links page. "