PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck at "Installing System: 15% (Detecting File Systems)" on Dell Inspiron 8500

dyba
August 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8500 and I am trying to install Ubuntu.

Everything works fine until I hit this problem:

Installing System
15%
Detecting File Systems...

And it freezes right here. It just stops and you can't even hear the computer booting anymore from the CD. So I've had to just power the laptop off.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? The laptop has also reached the point of needing the install disk (It won't boot to Windows XP anymore).

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thank you.

titanllands
September 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM
This is a problem with my Dell Optiplex GX260, any help would be appreciated

codejammer
October 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
This is a problem with my Dell Optiplex GX260, any help would be appreciated
Mine too. This time it's an HP Omnibook 7150 with 192MB Ram and I'm trying to install Xubuntu

esmailgad
October 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8500 and I am trying to install Ubuntu.

Everything works fine until I hit this problem:

Installing System
15%
Detecting File Systems...

And it freezes right here. It just stops and you can't even hear the computer booting anymore from the CD. So I've had to just power the laptop off.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? The laptop has also reached the point of needing the install disk (It won't boot to Windows XP anymore).

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thank you.

I did not understand the problem. You have widows installed on the labtop and you install ubuntu as a second operating system or the inverse?

snowpine
October 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Does the Live CD work on your system? That's a good way to determine any hardware problems ahead of trying an actual install.

Assuming the Live CD works okay but the install still fails: Give the Alternate Install CD a try. It uses a text-based installer which sometimes succeeds where the Live CD's graphical installer fails.

(edit) ps it could just be that your hard drive is failing, which would explain why XP won't boot any more :)

Stoker580
May 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my Dell Inspiron 8500 and found that it took about 5 hours to do. At times it appeared to have stopped altogether but I noticed that the status message above the progress bar kept changing and so allowed it to continue. There are problems with the displaying of graphics which I have raise in another post. I'm a complete newcomer and other than relate my experiences I'm sorry that I can't offer any other advice.