PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Freaking autostart or how to switch the beagle front-end

private_lock
August 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hello!

Currently I use kerry as front-end for searching with beagle. But on every login there is a second "Beagle Search 0.3.3" coming up. Today I'm going to find out: How to stop it?

I've looked in ~/.kde/Autostart and in ~/.config/autostart. Both folders don't have a link to beagle-search. The systemsettings tell me, that ~/.kde/Autostart is my default autostart folder so maybe the second is ignored anyway?

Then I installed the kcontrol-autostart package and checked kcontrol (why isn't this accessible via K-Menu???) This one notified me of another autostart shell script in ~/.kde/env which just exports an environment-variable.

Furthermore I checked /opt/kde3/share ... but there is definitely no autostart folder inside, only a folder called applnk.

Next I wanted to uninstall beagle-search, but there is no such package. And since kerry is using beagled (the backend demon), I cannot really uninstall that one I thought. But scanning through the details of package beagle in the adept-manager I found under details, installed files a link to /etc/xdg/autostart/beagle-search-autostart.desktop.

Next time please hide it a little better. It only took me some hours to find out ](*,) But definitely better, than simply "searching the registry" as some friends advised me ... that would have been to obvious. At least it took root rights to get rid of the file ... so now I feel really important ... god on my system ... you know!?!

Well, as it is already past 11 you've to wait till tomorrow, when I next time boot my machine, to see, if it really did the trick. Actually you'll going to hear the scream, if it didn't work, I'll promise!

Thanks for your valuable time
private_lock

arubislander
August 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I will be paying attention to see if I hear you scream :popcorn:

private_lock
August 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
To my utter surprise, this really was sucessfull, so no need to damage my vocal chords :-)

arubislander
August 8th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Good for you! =D>