PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gdm fails to decect terminal

plesset
August 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
(Sorry for the double post. But I figure this is a more appropriate thread than "General help")

Once again I'm having Gnome related issues after updating my system (Ubuntu 8.04, running on a Asus A6VM-A laptop, 2.6.24-19-generic). When I reboot the machine it starts up but goes to a terminal display (i.e. not the orange progress bar) and starts loading files necessary for booting. Everything seems to be progressing normally, but I get a warning when starting the gdm (version 2.20/7) that a "unknown terminal 'linux'" has been detected and finally the boot hangs after "running local boot scripts". Alt-F1 allows me to log in and everything seems fine. I can't start X (via startx). I tried to reconfigure the xserver via dpkg reconfig-xserver but it failed. Finally I uninstalled the Nvidia driver and rebooted. The result was the same. Should I try to remove gnome and reinstall? What would be the best way to do that?

benerivo
August 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
If gdm fails, then i would try another login manager before changing the gnome desktop packages. Try installing kdm with sudo apt-get install kdm. You should be given an option to decide whether you want to use kdm as the default. Select yes then reboot.

plesset
August 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. Although I would really like to stick with Gnome, I have never really cared for KDE (it's a long story).