PDA

View Full Version : This is going to get eaten up.....

KingBahamut
November 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
But I have to post it anyway
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Gates_memo_warns_of_disruptive_changes/0,2000061733,39221468,00.htm

Relavent portions of the article about MS and its current direction.

"This coming 'services wave' will be very disruptive," Gates said in an Oct. 30 e-mail to top Microsoft employees. "We have competitors who will seize on these approaches and challenge us."

Yes, we know Bill. We are coming, and we have been knocking on your door to tell you , we are taking some toys off your lawn.

We should've been leaders with all our web properties in harnessing the potential of Ajax, following our pioneering work in OWA (Outlook Web Access)," Ozzie wrote. "We knew search would be important, but through Google's focus they've gained a tremendously strong position.

OWA and Ajax can challenge Google? I think not. I would hardly call OWA pioneering work. SquirellMail is far more intuitive and stable in my opinion.

Google is obviously the most visible here, although given the hype level it is difficult to ascertain which of their myriad initiatives are simply adjuncts intended to drive scale for their advertising business, or which might ultimately grow to substantively challenge our offerings," Ozzie wrote. "Although Yahoo also has significant communications assets that combine software and services, they are more of a media company and--with the notable exception of their advertising platform--they seem to be utilising their platform capabilities largely as an internal asset

This speaks on the joining of MSN and Yahoo together. Enough to challenge Google and its motivations? Is Google a glorified advertising house? Most of what Google does already challenges the offerings of MS and its subsidaries, where are they speaking on the concept of "might"?

The article continues on to cite Apple and its successes, another cornerstone that MS has to defend against. The article even suggests that Ozzie states a Web based development platform could exist. A Web Based IDE, havent we done this already?

Ozzie even goes so far as to call Office omnipresent. Can this be?

kalin
November 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
OWA and Ajax can challenge Google? I think not. I would hardly call OWA pioneering work. SquirellMail is far more intuitive and stable in my opinion.

To be honest the guy's talking about "pioneering" in the context of AJAX, when he mentions OWA, which is actually true, the MS exchange team were the first to allow client-side scripts to issue an HTTP request - in OWA. (More info on AJAX here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming))). Basically it allows updating the content of a page with new content pulled from the server without reloading the whole page.