PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Install Stalls

yme
August 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I have an Acer laptop on which I have had Ubuntu for a year or so. Recently it was getting so slow working with OpenOffice and the PDF viewer I decided to go for a complete install on a clean HD.

I have done this a couple of times before and it always seems to get the speed up dramatically. Problem was this time it just won't run install.

I have burned a fresh Hoary CD but whatever option I choose on the menu it gets to installing the desktop and stalls (I see the heronand nothing else), I have checked and it says the CD is burned OK.

I am now running the memory test option but it has been running since Saturday and just keeps going. I don't understand whether the output it is giving is positive or not ...

spiderbatdad
August 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It's definitely safe to quit the memory test now. You might try searching google for installing Ubuntu 8.04 on your model of Acer. Perhaps some boot options are needed. Have you tried to boot the live cd on another computer to see if it will boot up?

yme
August 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Someone suggested that I try the alternative CD so I downloaded that. Everything went OK until I got to 78% install and then it asked me 't change media.

This is weird as the download page explicitly says that the alternative CD is a CD not CDs!

wpshooter
August 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Are you burning the image at 4x or less ?

Are you checking the integrity of your Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

P. S. - If you are burning image to CD instead of DVDs, make sure that the capacity of the CD media is not less than 700mb.

yme
August 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, it verified fine so I presume there is no problem. I always burn CDs at the lowest possible speed.

I might try a DVD now ...

wpshooter
August 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
May I ask why you are trying to install such an old version of Ubuntu. I don't think Hoary is even suppored anymore !!!

ajfisherman
August 6th, 2008, 06:49 PM
My laptop stall so i used a ide (laptop type) to usb and installed using another computer. I dont thing older version of ubuntu auto-detect hardware changes so you may need to fix some stuff like xserver.

yme
August 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM
8.04 is what I am trying to install. It is the latest available.

I thought it was called Hoary? It has a Heron on the desktop anyway ...

yme
August 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
As to ide and via another computer that all sounds way too complicated. If it won't work from a straightforward CD why via another computer.

Bucky Ball
August 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
8.04 is what I am trying to install. It is the latest available.

I thought it was called Hoary? It has a Heron on the desktop anyway ...

Hardy Heron. :) Hoary is ancient.

yme
August 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I don't have Windows and certainly don't think it is simple to start talking about a second install.

The HD is blank as I made sure to backup to CDs. Never quite trust the new install not to wipe over it.

Bucky Ball
August 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
The HD is blank as I made sure to backup to CDs. Never quite trust the new install not to wipe over it.

... or the user! lol ;)

If you keep notes and keep track of where everything is, there shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have an empty drive and no ******* to confuse the issue.

Everything is in the planning, and it is a good idea to get out a piece of paper and make a plan before installing anything. Once you have your install in (which would include '/' '/home' and 'swap' partitions (probably) but can contain any partitions you choose to make which is where your plan comes in), take it from there. If you want another OS in there, your plan has, of course, covered this and you have an empty partition in the appropriate spot for it.

Good luck ...