PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help! New install, screen goes blank.

Everglades
August 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I just installed xubuntu on my Ibm Thinkpad circa 1999. The install was successfull. When I go to boot, the Xubuntu logo comes up in blue the middle with a line going back and forth below indicating the system is loading. When it finishes loading the xubuntu screen comes up for a split second and then everything goes blank. ANybody got any idea what could be happening?

K2712
August 4th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Can you hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 and get to a virtual terminal?

Everglades
August 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I don't think so. The OS didn't install my wireless router (thats going to be my next project).

overdrank
August 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I don't think so. The OS didn't install my wireless router (thats going to be my next project).

Could you give us some system specs like memory and graphics? And please try and reach the command prompt with the ctrl, alt, F1 keys. :)

wpshooter
August 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I just installed xubuntu on my Ibm Thinkpad circa 1999. The install was successfull. When I go to boot, the Xubuntu logo comes up in blue the middle with a line going back and forth below indicating the system is loading. When it finishes loading the xubuntu screen comes up for a split second and then everything goes blank. ANybody got any idea what could be happening?

Did you try pressing the ESC key to see if the video would come back on to the screen ?

Everglades
August 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
system specs: Ibm thinkpad I series, purchased DEc. 1999. Now has 160MB RAM; 5 gig hard drive. I do not know what type of graphics board. I do know it is a passive matrix LCD screen.