PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] adding / removing users problems......

techno-mole
August 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
hello all

i have a small issue with one of the systems on my home network, its running kubuntu (hardy) i had an issue where for some reason all the user names were unknown to sudo, so using this guide - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sudo i managed to fix it.

but for some reason now i cant add or remove users (i dont know if it is anything to do with the previous problem) if i go to system settings - user management - then log in as an administrator i cant add or remove users, or change the groups they belong to, well i can, that is to say i can change the options, and i get asked if i want to delete the home file etc of a user i want to remove, but nothing actually changes, the user doesnt get deleted (but they have no home folder)
the user is still in the list at the log in window, but trying to log in results in an error saying " could not start kstartupconfig check your installation "

like wise for adding a user if i click new nothing happens either
any ideas will be helpful.
cheers

techno-mole
August 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
okay, im getting some where, i can add and remove users using terminal, but for some reason the users i add dont show up in the login window, so although i have added new users they still cant log in.
is there a way to get the new users to show up in the log in window ?
cheers