PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 install problem

claus
August 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hi,

several months ago, I successfully burned & installed an image of Kubuntu 8.04, but due to my outdated graphics card (NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 64), I ran into problems after trying to install the NVIDIA driver. I tried to perform a new installation, but I accidentally made some scratches into the CD, so I burned a new one. Since then, I haven't been able to install Kubuntu anew. After several attempt to burn a new CD and trying to install Kubuntu (I didnt get the installer, only some mysterious message at the bottom of the screen), I burned Ubuntu (Gnome) 8.04 instead. I am getting the startup screen, but am not able to select a language, since my keyboard is disabled for some reason. After about 20 seconds, the Ubuntu screen shows up automatically, but after that I am getting the prompt <initramfs>. I have no idea on how to proceed after that. Does anybody have an idea what's wrong here? I downloaded the boot images from the official site.

Thanks,

Claus

meindian523
August 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Did you check the CD for errors?md5sum?Burnt as an image?at 4x?

claus
August 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Did you check the CD for errors?md5sum?Burnt as an image?at 4x?

The CD apparently has 14 errors :-(, and I have to admit that I didn't check the md5sum previously (my fault). 'As an image': yes, but what's '4x'? I have to add that I burned it on a Windows PC using Nero. I selected 'As an image' (I think there weren't any additonal options such as '4x' available). Ok, so I'm going to download yet another image & check the md5sum right afterwards. Do you possibly know if Windows XP has a built-in md5sum checking feature? I'm not that familiar with newer versions of Windows (the last one I used was Windows 98, and I'm really glad that I made the move to Linux ;-).

Thanks,

Claus

Elfy
August 4th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Probably already done it - but if you download the torrent it gets checked, you can get the md5sums themselves on this page and also a link for the torrents if you haven't got it yet.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/

4x refers to burning it at a low speed, this page gives a win method of checking the md5sum

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Hope that is if some help to you

meindian523
August 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks,forestpixie,for helping out when we in different timezones aren't available.