PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4.1 still buggie

bikinguy77388
August 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hi all downloaded 4.1 yesterday all excited about it as its gotten pretty good reviews from Suse 11. Still has a way to go with Debbie it seems.

Still fun but not trustworthy yet.

I burned the suse 11 iso and it works pretty good on slackware...i think suse 11 is slackware.

bikinguy

AdamWood
August 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
For anyone else thinking about trying KDE4 just remember, KDE4.1 isn't really meant for the average user yet. I know it looks like the second release but really KDE4.0 was only meant to be seen by application developers and 4.1 is meant for people to test the technology. It's from now on that it will start to get more stable and we'll see the nice features we've all been waiting for. I can't wait for 4.2 and Amarok2 in particular.

qpieus
August 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM
yeah I agree, still a bit buggy. I tried it out last weekend on an arch linux install I just did. Hated the default menu thing. Fortunately you can switch back to the "classic" menu, which is the regular k-menu I'm used to. It was not intuitive on how to mess round with the panel - it is not obvious how to move applets around on the panel, for example. Dolphin kept crashing too. I had it installed for about 6 hours and removed it and put 3.5.9 back on. It does look pretty good though. I hope they get these things worked out. I love my KDE 3.5.9, but I know it won't be around forever and I'll have to move to 4.x. Based on the current 4.1, I'm not too happy about moving to that...

AdamWood
August 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hated the default menu thing.

Have you seen lancelot (http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2008/07/30/lancelot-alpha-screenshots/)?

I tried it and I already prefer it to the default menu despite it being in alpha quality. I don't use it day to day though as it's still alpha and I would really not recommend it to anyone yet. Oddly I see far too many people running alpha and beta releases.

TheUnabeefer
August 6th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I burned the suse 11 iso and it works pretty good on slackware...i think suse 11 is slackware.

Wait, what!? So, can I just decide randomly that Gentoo is Linspire?!

I need to clean Dr Pepper off of my monitor now.

Vorian Grey
August 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Suse roots are in Slackware. It's probably changed a lot now, though.

TheUnabeefer
August 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM
**shrug** I have always seen SuSE's roots to be in Red Hat (hence the RPM's) but they may have changed since I stopped using it to switch to Slackware (back after SuSE 4)

Either way... it's off topic, so I will get back ON topic by saying that I personally am enjoying KDE4 very much, and am looking forward to being able to use my friggin SuperKaramba themes installed as a plasmoid.

They claimed it would be ready by 4.1 and I am waiting still...

LunaMouse
August 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I haven't found much trouble in using KDE 4.1 on Arch. Initially I found it to be a bit unintuitive (and there are definitely a few features missing, such as an easy way to move a panel anywhere you want to) but it's just a matter of getting used to the way things are. It's not some big puzzle that's impossible to figure out, it's just different.

Quite frankly, it's come a very long way, and I'm impressed with it. A lot of the advancements are very much worth the initial uneasiness.

I have found one matter of instability, in that if I add a bunch of plasmoids to the panel and then log out without locking the panel, they tend to disappear. It's not consistent, but it is a bit annoying.

qpieus
August 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Have you seen lancelot (http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2008/07/30/lancelot-alpha-screenshots/)?

Hey thanks. I had not heard of this, it looks pretty neat. I'll give it a try next time I install KDE4.

TheUnabeefer
August 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I personally am enjoying KDE4 very much, and am looking forward to being able to use my friggin SuperKaramba themes installed as a plasmoid.

They claimed it would be ready by 4.1 and I am waiting still...

Okay, I spoke too soon. I got home, a few packages were waiting to upgrade, and I am now running some SuperKaramba themes installed through Plasma. Not only a newer one made for plasma (okygen system monitor) but also an older Amarok control made for SuperKaramba itself.

Incredible. I love it. :guitar:

drunken_sapo
October 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Initially I found it to be a bit unintuitive (and there are definitely a few features missing, such as an easy way to move a panel anywhere you want to)

I'm particularly interested in this. I haven't found ANY way to move a panel at all. Can you give me some hints ony how to do it? I shouldn't be that hard.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Juan

squil0
October 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hi,
had the same problem and just found the solution :D You need to click on the plasma icon on the right side of the panel, then move the mouse to the background of the darker panel that opens, and when you click there, the cursor will change to the pointer that suggests moving. And then you can move the panel :)

drunken_sapo
October 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi,
had the same problem and just found the solution :D You need to click on the plasma icon on the right side of the panel, then move the mouse to the background of the darker panel that opens, and when you click there, the cursor will change to the pointer that suggests moving. And then you can move the panel :)

yeah I've found out too. Thank you. Anyway, it is still akward to do that.
Regards.

squil0
October 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Anyway, it is still akward to do that.
Regards.

True, just the fact that I had to search for it intensively makes it feel weird.

Kalinda
October 31st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Okay, I spoke too soon. I got home, a few packages were waiting to upgrade, and I am now running some SuperKaramba themes installed through Plasma. Not only a newer one made for plasma (okygen system monitor) but also an older Amarok control made for SuperKaramba itself.

Incredible. I love it. :guitar:
Alright, how did you manage that?

I followed the instructions that I found on the KDE wiki that said all I had to do was run a theme in SuperKaramba and it would then be added to Plasma... but it wasn't. And I can't simply install SuperKaramba theme files because Plasma won't take them.

So, tell me, what is your secret?

Although I suppose this could just be another bug... I'm holding off switching to Intrepid because I'm waiting for KDE 4.2. There was supposed to be an alpha of that released a couple days ago, but alas, it wasn't.