PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Gnome is dead...

Thesuperchang
August 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Gnome is dead... I think. So I was trying to watch some anime when my PC decided that it wouldn't output any volume in my right ear head phone. I reluctantly booted up into Vista where both head phones gave out sound. A few hours later I browsed the forum looking for a solution, I uninstalled the sound drivers (alsa I think and reinstalled.) unfortunately now gnome doesn't start up anymore, I only have command line. I tried the command,
sudo apt-get isntall gdm ubuntu-desktop
However, is does not find all packages... My current Ubuntu version is 32-bit hardy herron. Would anyone have any advice. If possible, I would like to install from CD, as my ISP are a bunch of tight ***'s.

Thanks in advance,
C. Anderson.

scottuss
August 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
How did you remove the drivers and what happens if you type startx on the console?

Thesuperchang
August 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
How did you remove the drivers and what happens if you type startx on the console?

I'm currently looking for the thread that I got the instructions form. It was a huge audio trouble shooting thread.

Thesuperchang
August 5th, 2008, 02:35 AM
The guide I used to rectify my sound problem is located here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Fortunately, when I type startx after logging in, Gnome starts itself up. On the guide I followed, it asked me to reinstall ubuntu-desktop which I have tried doing but to no luck. To try to reinstall I open up terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop
but it does not install. Below I have pasted a log of the processes that go on.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
visualboyadvance libfltk1.1
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
fast-user-switch-applet
Suggested packages:
xnest uswsusp
Recommended packages:
gdm-themes
The following NEW packages will be installed:
fast-user-switch-applet gdm ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1891kB/2227kB of archives.
After this operation, 19.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://au.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main gdm 2.20.6-0ubuntu2
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gdm/gdm_2.20.6-0ubuntu2_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

The sad thing about this situation is that my sound issue was not rectified. Ubuntu is still outputting mono only.:(

Thanks in advance,
C. Anderson

Vadi
August 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Can you please go to System - Administration - Software Sources, and select "Main Server" as your mirror. Then try the "sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop" command again.

Thesuperchang
August 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Problem resolved. Thank you very much.

Vadi
August 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
You're welcome! Please click on 'Thread Tools' and 'Mark as solved' :)