PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for old people that never used internet or computers before

HumanAnarchist
August 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hello,

I'm planning to setup an Ubuntu box for my grandparents and I'm wondering what kind of tweaks I should do with the box after the default install?

One problem is that they don't speak or read english at all, only norwegian.

They have never used computers or internet in their long life.

Other things I should consider?

-ha-

Sealbhach
August 4th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I would set up some nice bookmarks for them on Firefox, just easy useful pages for them to find.

Any problems with eyesight, hearing? Maybe increase font sizes?

gjoellee
August 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
...I am from Norway, but I use English as my system language because the Norwegian translation was so "advanced" like how they we spoked in Norway for about 200years ago or something...

A few tips:
-You should should write down some different things on a paper so if they forget something they can read there
-Install the system in Norwegian
-Make sure the keyboard language is matching the keyboard
-Show them Firefox...maby give them some web addresses to Norwegian websites like: nrk.no, vg.no, aftenposten.no, dagbladet.no etc....
-I bet installing compiz fusion and stuff like that may just confuse them so don't install that
-Anable automatic login so they don't have to login manually
-Just make the desktop as user-friendly as possible, and show them how to do stuff (not much at the time), and write it down in some kind of way
-So they easily can read and enter programs drag all the software they need to use out on the desktop...and every time you visit them make sure to see their system is up to date!

HumanAnarchist
August 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I would set up some nice bookmarks for them on Firefox, just easy useful pages for them to find.

Any problems with eyesight, hearing? Maybe increase font sizes?

Some problem with hearing, but I think that problem is solved by just turning up the volume on the speakers next to the computer :)

wersdaluv
August 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Make huge desktop icons (it can easily be done on Gnome. right click the icon then "Stretch Icon") in the center of the desktop of apps like Firefox and Pidgin. Name firefox "Internet" and name Pidgin "Instant Messaging" or Norweigian translations of the words.

hessiess
August 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
set up SSH/remote desktop so you can fix problems remotley

HumanAnarchist
August 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM
...I am from Norway, but I use English as my system language because the Norwegian translation was so "advanced" like how they we spoked in Norway for about 200years ago or something...

Norwegian translations for most Linux/computer stuff sucks, I know. Norwegianification of english computer words make strange new norwegian words sometimes. [For ikke å snakke om ny-norsk oversetting.... :)]

A few tips:
-You should should write down some different things on a paper so if they forget something they can read there

Yeah, an analog help is important.

-Install the system in Norwegian

I will do that, but it sucks that many of the norwegian computers words that is translated don't make any more sense for them than english computer words.

-Make sure the keyboard language is matching the keyboard

I should maybe make the fancybuttons work too.

-Show them Firefox...maby give them some web addresses to Norwegian websites like: nrk.no, vg.no, aftenposten.no, dagbladet.no etc....

A good bookmark list is important. I think www.yr.no is going to be a popular site for them :) My grandfather is an old fishermen and farmer :)

-I bet installing compiz fusion and stuff like that may just confuse them so don't install that

I thought about this, but the only thing that I think will be usefull for them is the Zoom plugin. I could turn off everything else and just enable Zoom.

-Anable automatic login so they don't have to login manually

Essential.

-Just make the desktop as user-friendly as possible, and show them how to do stuff (not much at the time), and write it down in some kind of way

-So they easily can read and enter programs drag all the software they need to use out on the desktop...and every time you visit them make sure to see their system is up to date!

I will try do do that, but I'm not so sure what is the most user-friendly for them. I guess shortcuts to most of the important programs they need to use on the desktop could be nice to have.

Another thing I thought about was to have an icon that they could click, and when they click on that icon a box pops up where they could type in my IP address and then I could remote control their keyboard and mouse from where ever in the world.

-ha-

LaRoza
August 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I'm planning to setup an Ubuntu box for my grandparents and I'm wondering what kind of tweaks I should do with the box after the default install?

One problem is that they don't speak or read english at all, only norwegian.

I think you should install all codecs, java, flash and other such programs just to avoid anything "not working".

Next, find out what they will be doing, and make those tasks very easy to do (icons on desktop)

tiachopvutru
August 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Summing up all the suggestions here--in short, spy on them.

quanumphaze
August 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Can they operate the mouse? I'm serious.

I thought it would be a good idea to show my laptop to my grandfather (in his mid 70s) on the weekend who has never used a computer in his life. My grandfather had difficulty understanding the concepts of the mouse (USB mouse not the touchpad) but I managed to get him to click a target about 7% of the time.

Computers are just not of his era, he never used one and won't need one any time soon. I'm sure if I had more time and he actually was dedicated to learning it he could be trolling forums among the best of them.

If your grandparents need to have a computer than you will have to invest a lot of time and effort into teaching them the very basic concepts that we take for granted: What does Shift do? Right/left clicking; where's the "any key"? All the stuff we know like basic instinct is not obvious

lefen
August 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I wonder if you should take wersdaluv's suggestion to its natural conclusion and try to re-create an eeePC easy-mode-style desktop layout for them? You could even partition icons using some customised wallpaper?

sicofante
August 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Enable single-click in Nautilus. Makes everything easier. (I use it myself in all of my computers, but my old parents just love it: no more "is this one click or two clicks?").