PDA

View Full Version : Haha. Ok, M$. That's just ridiculous.

Lexicon101
August 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
The description of Active Desktop is very nearly an exact description of the new WebSlices feature in IE8. They do exactly what Active Desktop was designed to do --- grab information from the Web, and display it in a kind of widget inside Internet Explorer. Really, guys? Putting internet in an internet browser? I thought that was an old concept.

The address bar features domain highlighting for added security so that the top-level domain is shown in black whereas the other parts of the URL are grayed out. Which is almost like FF's identity information button next to the url bar. Only for idiots.

I find it funny that microsoft also stripped down windows into a single-file self-contained OS taking up 25 MB, and removed dependencies for useless crap, streamlined everything in the process, removed the GUI, then decides not to use it as the core for windows 7. Why all the trouble, fellas? Worried about the bloat, but not willing to admit it? Go ahead, cram yourself into a teeny bikini... But don't cry about it when someone more streamlined is getting all the stares. Microsoft, you'd better work hard at that heavy frame of yours, and stop making up stupid **** with your internet explorer trying to look cool. Cause you're about to lose the race.

(Cause nobody wants a fat OS that you don't even get to play with.)

kerry_s
August 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
no need to be a hater.

master5o1
August 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
dont be a player hater be a player appreciater

*sorry, impulse when i see the word hater

Lexicon101
August 4th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I just saw it, and I couldn't see how it made sense to marvel at having the internet within an internet browser.

Lexicon101
August 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
dont be a player hater be a player appreciater

*sorry, impulse when i see the word hater

... but do you appreciate M$'s game?

graabein
August 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
It's the Microsoft way. Take something old and make it sound new and ground breaking. Preferably integrate it tightly into other Microsoft products so the whole lock in thing goes into full effect. Oh the joy of proprietary software. I hate that.

Sealbhach
August 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I just saw it, and I couldn't see how it made sense to marvel at having the internet within an internet browser.

They can get the internet into internet browsers now?

Even showing enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material?

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
They can get the internet into internet browsers now?

Even showing enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material?

the interesting thing is, they stripped ******* down, streamlining everything, making it into a nice little kernel... then decide not to use it. look for windows 7 on wikipedia, and IE8... The whole thing just doesn't make much sense.

wrtpeeps
August 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM
You being unable to spell microsoft and windows doesn't make much sense to me.

Using childish acronyms just makes you look the fool. :)

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 01:50 AM
you being unable to understand basic grammar doesn't make much sense to me.
I "look the fool"?

wrtpeeps
August 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I "look the fool"?

Yes, you look like a fool. "m$" and "*******" are not cool, nor are they funny.

Pogeymanz
August 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Actually, that is a common expression...

Anyway, Microsoft has done a lot of silly things. This does not surprise me at all. It'll just make me smirk when someone tells me about a new "feature" Microsoft is planning.

days_of_ruin
August 5th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I "look the fool"?

Its not his fault.He ate yellow snow.:lolflag:

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 01:59 AM
"What the ****?" is an expression too. Doesn't mean it makes sense.
Would it make you happy if I spelled out the names? Would it make you feel important? Do you just come here trying to make people feel inferior?

waapwoop1
August 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty sure they meant putting the internet in widgets on the desktop, that is what active desktop used to be, eventhough it was complete utter crap

cardinals_fan
August 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Does writing "M$" actually feel original and clever? Because it comes across as childish and obnoxious.

It might have been funny when it was new, but now it's just outdated and tiring.

days_of_ruin
August 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Does writing "M$" actually feel original and clever? Because it comes across as childish and obnoxious.

It might have been funny when it was new, but now it's just outdated and tiring.

So is popping into compiz threads and telling everyone for the umpteenth time that you hate compiz.

Just let stuff slide.

Lexicon101
August 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm pretty sure they meant putting the internet in widgets on the desktop, that is what active desktop used to be, eventhough it was complete utter crap

Go ahead. Read the wiki.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be original. If he can use common expressions that are totally pointless compared to the correct version, so can I. Is there something you folks are mad at me about? I was just trying to share my own surprise at what my favorite evil corporation was passing off as innovation.

hvac3901
August 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Maybe i don't get the beef?

he said m$, he said *******, both of which were effectively conveyed thoughts, so then you say he is ignorant?

and yet his feelngs both the real purpose and the personal flair were both effectively conveyed, yet again i say you claim he is childish, ignorant? hummm. I guess freedom of speech and expression has never been without its critics.

I found it to be understandable in message, and tolerable in attempted humor, get over it i say. M$ is a sorry corporation that lacks the true ability to compete on an even keel with other sources of OS's despite its enormous financial backing. Windowz is slow, and costly making it inefficient WHEN you compare it to other free but sometimes troublesome but mostly problem free sources for OS and Applications. Get off your high hourses :)

cardinals_fan
August 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM
So is popping into compiz threads and telling everyone for the umpteenth time that you hate compiz.

Just let stuff slide.
It's nice to be recognized ;) I do see a difference. When I express my dislike for Compiz, it shows an opinion relevant to the thread. The "M$" abbreviation has no bearing on the content of this thread.

Passing over the misused dollar signs, I agree with the OP that this concept sounds stupid. The whole idea of displaying web content inside a widget inside a web browser is bizarre.

Oldsoldier2003
August 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Thread closed. Play nice or everyone gets sent to their rooms without desert