PDA

View Full Version : Rootless Root: The Unix Koans of Master Foo

trevelyan
August 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
hi guys.. i don't know how many of you have seen this already. but for those who haven't here is a link (http://www.catb.org/~esr//writings/unix-koans/index.html)

Here is a taste:

Master Foo and the Old Hand

An experienced Unix programmer, hearing of Master Foo's wisdom, came to him for guidance. Approaching the Master, he bowed three times and said:

“Master Foo, I am gravely troubled. In my youth, those who followed the Great Way of Unix used software that was simple and unaffected, like ed and mailx. Today, they use vim and mutt. Tomorrow I fear they will use KMail and Evolution, and Unix will have become like Windows — bloated and covered over with GUIs.”

Master Foo said: “But what software do you use when you want to draw a poster?”

The programmer replied: “I...have never done that. But I am sure that I could use LaTeX or pic to accomplish it without GUIs, in the proper Unix way.”

Master Foo then said: “Which one will reach the other side of the river: The one who dreams of a raft, or the one that hitchhikes to the next bridge?”

Upon hearing this, the programmer was enlightened.

:D

K.Mandla
August 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Upon clicking, I was enlightened. ;) Thanks!

Barrucadu
August 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I've read all these before - but a long time ago, before I started using Linux. I think I'll read them again.

MONODA
August 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
yeah ive seen them, thanks for bringing it up again, i was looking ofr the link.

Brunellus
August 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Amusing. Just goes to show that, for all his personality quirks, ESR is still a fairly witty dude.

matthew
August 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
A couple of years ago I picked up ESR's book "The Art of Unix Programming," and he is not only a talented writer, but a very good teacher. It is one of my top 5 computer related book recommendations.

He published it with a Creative Commons license, so I wouldn't be surprised if the entire text, and maybe a pdf, are available on his website. It's worth looking for.

EDIT: here it is... http://www.catb.org/~esr//writings/taoup/