PDA

View Full Version : Project Help

JimmyFlip
August 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hey, Im looking for science project this year that would invove the comparison of windows and Linux OS. Im a sophomore and im currently running ubuntu on my PC with windowsXp and i also have ubuntu installed on my PS3. It would be good experience to introduce new people to Linux.

JimmyFlip
August 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Hey I know this is probably the wrong forum but Im looking for science project this year that would invove the comparison of windows and Linux OS. Im a sophomore and im currently running ubuntu on my PC with windowsXp and i also have ubuntu installed on my PS3. It would be good experience to introduce new people to Linux.

JimmyFlip
August 4th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Hey, Im looking for science project this year that would involve the comparison of windows and Linux OS. Im a sophomore and im currently running ubuntu on my PC with windowsXp and i also have ubuntu installed on my PS3. It would be good experience to introduce new people to Linux.

thenetduck
August 4th, 2008, 04:32 AM
You could run bench marks between the two operating systems doing different task such as compiling etc. Or rate each operating system based on easy of use and performance. You could also do an experiment... buy xp then ... they get ubuntu for free... of course that would be more sutible for an economics class

mb_webguy
August 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Ditto thenetduck. Since this is a science class, you should probably run a number of benchmark tests showing the performance differences between the two operating systems. Try to use programs that run on both systems whenever possible, so the results are less likely to be due to the programs. A few common tests are compiling a program, encoding a movie, and performing file operations. The last is particularly significant since it's a basic function of the OS. Of course, the file system plays a role in that, but then the operating systems are designed to run on different file systems, so differences in file systems could be worth discussing, as well.

The most important thing to keep in mind when running benchmark tests is consistency. You really need to run the tests on the same architecture. If possible, set up a dual-boot system so you can run the tests on the same computer.

You could also compare the different system requirements, or contrast the differences in the way the two systems are developed, including how quickly problems are identified and updates made available to end users. Or different approaches to security. Or the differences in desktop environments: the integrated Windows desktop versus the various desktop environments that can run on top of Linux. Or the different architectures on which the operating systems can be installed (Here's a hint: You have Ubuntu installed on your PS3, but just try that with Windows. Heck, you can install Linux on a dead badger (http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml)...).

Here's an excellent comparison of Windows and Linux (http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html), even if some of the information is a bit dated. And here's a link to the Wikipedia comparison of Windows and Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Windows_and_Linux).

jasex
August 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Here's another article for reference. Linux is not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) Good & easy to read.

Rocket2DMn
August 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Moved to the Community Cafe.

Lexicon101
August 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Run a game in wine.
(I love that linux often plays better with windows toys than windows does itself.)
Also, show them compiz. Every windows user is amazed by compiz. try to make it a balanced pros and cons deal, because nobody swallows a sugar-coated pill.. but just think of the things that each does best (windows = scanning for viruses, GNU/linux = every day computing and customization.)
I'd say windows XP would be the best candidate for "what Windows does best" and um.. Well, there's a distro for anything you want GNU/Linux to do best. Show them windows' "Installers" and Ubuntu's Synaptic manager and Debian packages, the forums, the mascot.
And show them the microsoft help line. And probably a few good malware blockers.

tamoneya
August 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
First of all you should note that in this forum we do not do peoples homework or school work. However we can help you solve it yourself and get you pointed in the right direction.

so what do you need? Tips? websites?

Also Im not certain how a comparison between OSes falls in the category of science project. Can you give us some more details on the requirements.

overdrank
August 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
JimmyFlip threads merged. Please do not create multiple threads on the same subject.