PDA

View Full Version : Do you hibernate/suspend your computer?

spupy
August 4th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Title says it. Do you prefer to put your computer to hibernate or suspend instead of shutting it down.
I personally hibernate my laptop during the night, suspend when moving around through the day.
I've heard people say that this practice leads to instabilities and crashes. But in my experience problems arise with restarts. (Once I haven't had restarted the laptop for almost 2 months; a restart broke my sound and internet...)

So, how do you do it, and what is your opinion on this practice?

Mateo
August 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM
linux doesn't support suspend very well, so i've gotten out of the habit. i used to, yes.

tom66
August 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
In my experience, it supports it well.

Sporkman
August 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. Hibernate works fine & I do that routinely, however suspend screws up the video.

FuturePilot
August 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Yes I suspend and hibernate my laptop and it works fine. I find it useful to have it suspend if I'm not using it..

Nessa
August 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I shut it down when I'm not using it. Only used suspend/hibernate to test if it works.

Keyper7
August 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
What I do when I left the computer depends on how long I'll be away and what I'm doing before leaving:

1) If I'll leave for a very short amount of time, like going to the bathroom, I just lock the screen.

2) If I'll leave for a longer time, like going for a quick meeting, I suspend.

3) If I'll leave for a really long time (like going to have lunch), I either turn the computer off or hibernate, depending on how many windows I'll have to open when I return to resume my work.

I had no problems with suspend and hibernate so far. Video, sound, wireless, etc... All work perfectly when I return. As an added bonus, I found out that hibernation is a very effective memory cleaner.

RiceMonster
August 4th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I suspend it all the time.

Erdaron
August 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I hibernate my laptop all the time. I can't even remember I actually powered it down or even restarted it. I constantly have a bunch of things open, so it's a huge help not worrying about remembering everything that would need to be re-opened.

On the desktop, suspension currently doesn't work in Linux (the installed version - I haven't tried to fix it yet), so I have to shut down completely.

mthei
August 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Suspend/Hibernate has never worked for me in Ubuntu, which I hope will get fixed in Intrepid, but it works in what I'm using now, so for about a year, my computer would go on in the morning, and then shut down whenever I was not on it, unless I was home all day. Now I just turn it on once, and for the times where I'm not on it, I just suspend, but shut down at night.

Newuser1111
August 4th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I can't use hibernate on my laptop, every OS crashes when I try to.
Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu all cannot use hibernate on my laptop. I think the Vista BSOD said something about a power controller or something.

PHATSPEED7x
August 4th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I'll just shut it down. Both desktop, and laptop boot really quick with ubuntu.

init1
August 4th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Neither suspend nor hibernate work on my laptop.

CloudFX
August 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Neither of them worked for me in Gutsy, but suspending being possible in Hardy. I don't use it much, and Hibernate still doesn't work. I usually just shut down completely.

kspncr
August 4th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Both hibernate and suspend have always worked for me. I usually suspend rather than hibernate.

Now I'm a little concerned, though: Why would it not be considered good practice to hibernate or suspend your computer? I don't see what could be bad about it.

ghindo
August 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I use suspend and hibernate all the time. If it works on your computer, why wouldn't you use them?
What I do when I left the computer depends on how long I'll be away and what I'm doing before leaving:

1) If I'll leave for a very short amount of time, like going to the bathroom, I just lock the screen.

2) If I'll leave for a longer time, like going for a quick meeting, I suspend.

3) If I'll leave for a really long time (like going to have lunch), I either turn the computer off or hibernate, depending on how many windows I'll have to open when I return to resume my work.This is how I do it too.

p_quarles
August 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
My current laptop works mostly pretty well with suspend. I hesitate to use it, though, because on occasion sound will not recover after resume.

Mr.Auer
August 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
The first time I tried hibernating on my desktop was during Hardy alpha/beta phase. Before that I didnt dare to try it.

As it went, trying hibernating on my AMD X2 64 bit system ended up failing miserably - the process corrupted my root partition too badly to get it fixed even with a live cd (think corrupted files over several folders including stuff like /boot and /etc :) ) and tens of numbered files in /lost+found.

At least that helped enough in form of bug reporting, and now both suspend and hibernate work fine on my desktop (thou now it has 32-bit Hardy). And Ive actually started using them ..

On my Eee pc I sometimes suspend (dont hibernate, no swap or swap file), but mostly just shut it down. I have ubuntu-eee stripped down on it (open office etc removed) with Compiz and custom kernel - built for Celeron and cpu frequency scaling enabled, working wireless, cam and mic etc, and wvdial setup for dialing a USB modem into 3G net. It really, really rocks :)

spupy
August 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Now I'm a little concerned, though: Why would it not be considered good practice to hibernate or suspend your computer? I don't see what could be bad about it.

Doesn't it lead to instabilities and crashes?

Keyper7
August 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Doesn't it lead to instabilities and crashes?

Not for my Dell Vostro 1400. I'm used to hibernate several times without shutting down and never had a problem with this. In fact is quite the opposite: each hibernation does a major clean up of the memory and the system resumes snappier and faster than ever.

Superkoop
August 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Depends on how long I am away, like if for just 5-10 min, I lock/screensaver. If I'm gone for 30min or so, I suspend/hibernate. If longer than this, I shutdown.

Although on my desktop suspend/hibernate doesn't work at all under linux, but lappy is fine with this.

Atomic Dog
August 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I used to suspend, but one day it just stopped working right. Started to flake out when suspending and crash/lockup. I just started to shut it down instead.

I'm too lazy to try to chase down the problem.

BLTicklemonster
August 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
My computer? No. But I have a new lcd flat panel, and I let it turn off.

Polygon
August 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM
i would love to, but it fails 90% of the time and whenever i attempt it i have to restart my computer which defeats the purpose of 'suspending' or 'hibernating'

NetworkGuy
August 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
While I could suspend, I don't. I would rather have my computer fold molecules all night.

Polygon
August 5th, 2008, 04:23 AM
While I could suspend, I don't. I would rather have my computer fold molecules all night.

but the people who run these folding programs say you shoulden't leave your computer all night just to fold. It adds about 8 dollars to your electric bill.

ghindo
August 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM
but the people who run these folding programs say you shoulden't leave your computer all night just to fold. It adds about 8 dollars to your electric bill.I was going to say...

Besides, doesn't it run really hot on your computer? I would imagine that maxing out a CPU for more than a few minutes would make a computer absolutely roast.

quanumphaze
August 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Besides, doesn't it run really hot on your computer? I would imagine that maxing out a CPU for more than a few minutes would make a computer absolutely roast.

It depends on if you want to use it as a room heater.
____

I suspend all the time. At uni I often have free periods scattered around that make suspend worth while using. Today I must have done it at least 5 times.

Back in Gutsy it didn't work well and video was really unstable after resume. Hibernate just failed outright. It took a while to get back into the habit of using suspend after 6 months of buggy suspend.

Bit now suspend works fine, even hibernate is usable. Hibernate has a weird bug that messes up the tty screens where they just display 100% white upon resume. X is fine though so there is not too much concern. (any one know the problem/fix?)