PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen The Dark Knight???

edd07
August 3rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Well, have you? Isn't it the awesomest (yes, that is now a word) movie ever made?

Ok, I exaggerated, but I do think it's extraordinary. What do you think?

BGFG
August 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Sam Raimi raised the bar way up. glad to see other directors taking CBM's seriously. Joker Two-Face Batman. It was an experience. perfectly cast....exceptionally executed.

billgoldberg
August 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well, have you? Isn't it the awesomest (yes, that is now a word) movie ever made?

Ok, I exaggerated, but I do think it's extraordinary. What do you think?

If you think it's the most awesome movie ever made, you haven't watched enough movies.

Some I find a lot better on the top of my head:

The godfather I & II, Goodfellas, Leon, American History X, The shining, Das Boot, Sin City, Donnie Darko, 300, Ben Hur, Gattaca (yes, it was great), every hitcock movie ever made, the man from earth, I could go on and on. And I'm only listing the movies people will know.

I give the dark knight a 7.

It would have been a 5, but the joker was too great.

Better than most Oscar winners together.

The dude playing Batman needs some acting lessons.

And I couldn't stand two-face.

Frankly I even liked the new X-files movie better. And that's saying a lot.

--

And now it's official. I'm not using imdb anymore.

It was bad that WALL-E was in the top 10 best movies of all time, but now The Dark Knight is "the best movie of all time" according to them, I wont be using their site anymore.

Back to rotten tomatoes I guess.

LaRoza
August 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I will be seeing it soon.

OutOfReach
August 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's really great, I think all of the actors did a good job but Heath Ledger's performance as the joker was just superior, grade A.

Lostincyberspace
August 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
If you think it's the most awesome movie ever made, you haven't watched enough movies.

The godfather I & II, Goodfellas, Leon, American History X, The shining, Das Boot, Sin City, Donnie Darko, 300, Ben Hur, Gattaca (yes, it was great), every hitcock movie ever made, the man from earth, I could go on and on. And I'm only listing the movies people will know.

--

It was bad that WALL-E was in the top 10 best movies of all time, but now The Dark Knight is "the best movie of all time" according to them, I wont be using their site anymore.

You can tell Bill is older than quite a few of here at Ubuntu forums. By his choice in movies, I being fairly young like faster paced movies than those (and better graphics, and stories, and acting), they just bore me to death. There is actually allot of science of why older people like older movies, the younger generation has grown up with the faster paced movies and so to seem fast paced the movies need to be faster paced, this is evident in batman look at how two face gets worked into this movie.

billgoldberg
August 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
You can tell Bill is older than quite a few of here at Ubuntu forums. By his choice in movies, I being fairly young like faster paced movies than those (and better graphics, and stories, and acting), they just bore me to death. There is actually allot of science of why older people like older movies, the younger generation has grown up with the faster paced movies and so to seem fast paced the movies need to be faster paced, this is evident in batman look at how two face gets worked into this movie.

I'm 21.

I just don't go for the fancy affects.

A movie like Donnie Darko with almost no specials effects impressed me more than the Dark Knight.

Because the story is actually good and the movie makes you think.

That being said, I also like movies like American Pie, Police Academy, Harold and Kumar, ...

:p

BGFG
August 3rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
It's a matter of taste, that's all. I judge Batman as being a Comic book Movie. As a comic fan it was amazing. I don't really like to cross genre's when judging a film. They appeal to and evoke totally different responses...

Take two face for instance, i thought his character was methodically developed and i really enjoyed Echart's performance

As for the 'dude playing batman' he's quite accomplished.. you could check out
Equilibrium
American Psycho
The Machinist
Swing Kids
Little Women

For other performances......
If your grouse is his Bat-voice fine, but that doesn't determine an entire performance.
Michael Keaton had the ultimate bat-voice.

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
I thought it was really awesome. It was the joker that made this movie. I almost wanted him to win lol.

Swarms
August 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Going to watch it tomorrow, I was supposed to watch it today but my sister had too heavy hangovers.

But about it being #1 on IMDB, its just an effect of it being new and astonishing, just wait some time and it should drop down again.

But about Heath Ledger, you are sure people are not glorifying him because he died? Oh well I will find out.

billgoldberg
August 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
It's a matter of taste, that's all. I judge Batman as being a Comic book Movie. As a comic fan it was amazing. I don't really like to cross genre's when judging a film. They appeal to and evoke totally different responses...

Take two face for instance, i thought his character was methodically developed and i really enjoyed Echart's performance

As for the 'dude playing batman' he's quite accomplished.. you could check out
Equilibrium
American Psycho
The Machinist
Swing Kids
Little Women

For other performances......
If your grouse is his Bat-voice fine, but that doesn't determine an entire performance.
Michael Keaton had the ultimate bat-voice.

I know the Christian Bale, and thought he was actually good in equilibrium (great movie btw) and Harse Times. But in the rest of his movies (the ones I've seen) he plays mediocre to bad.

BGFG
August 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Going to watch it tomorrow, I was supposed to watch it today but my sister had too heavy hangovers.

But about it being #1 on IMDB, its just an effect of it being new and astonishing, just wait some time and it should drop down again.

But about Heath Ledger, you are sure people are not glorifying him because he died? Oh well I will find out.

I was thinking the same thing but DUDE! Heath was INSANE. I thought no one could ever play joker after Jack Nicholson. But i was so wrong.
Heath made a real joker for our times.

the academy thing might just be the academy trying to ride on the death of a great actor. But i be a liar if i said it would'nt be deserved.

For a great performance from Heath, check out
The Four Feathers

BGFG
August 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I know the Christian Bale, and thought he was actually good in equilibrium (great movie btw) and Harse Times. But in the rest of his movies (the ones I've seen) he plays mediocre to bad.

Yeah, equilibrium rocked hard. Suppose we could just respectfully dissagree on some of the other movies...
You guys have me going now. Might have to start another thread for the likes of HULK I and II, IRON MAN, SPIDERMAN....and on and on and on....

billgoldberg
August 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, equilibrium rocked hard. Suppose we could just respectfully dissagree on some of the other movies...
You guys have me going now. Might have to start another thread for the likes of HULK I and II, IRON MAN, SPIDERMAN....and on and on and on....

Sure, not everyone likes the same. The world would be boring if everyone did.

Sealbhach
August 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
For me one of my favourite movies ever is Cinema Paradiso.

Anyone seen it?

BGFG
August 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
For me one of my favourite movies ever is Cinema Paradiso.

Anyone seen it?

No idea what that is. Spanish ?
My all time favourite is SNATCH

Italian, just googled it...

init1
August 4th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, and the best part for me is that it was filmed very near to if not inside of a hotel I stayed at in Chicago :D

Vorian Grey
August 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
It was a good, almost great, film. Ledger was wonderful. He deserves an Oscar. Bale was sort of bland, though. All in all, a good movie experience and one worth watching. These days that's saying a lot.

SomeGuyDude
August 4th, 2008, 01:05 AM

--

You put Gattaca and the mess that was Sin City over TDK? Good lord, what's wrong with you? And I liked Donnie Darko but the theatrical cut was just a MESS and while the Director's Cut helped, it was still not nearly as smart as it thought it was.

TDK was unbelievably good, and while I'd not call it the best movie ever made, it's still vastly superior to loads of films that are called 'classics'. I think far too many people are biased against "mainstream" movies.

Christian Bale needs acting lessons? Are you insane? Have you seen Rescue Dawn? The Machinist? The Prestige? American Psycho? He's one of the best living actors along with Daniel Day Lewis and Ed Norton.

kevdog
August 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Although this was not Christian Bale's finest performance -- I thought he did a reasonable job. I thought the first movie was a little better (maybe b/c my expectations were lower), but the second movie was worth my $9.50.

Keyper7
August 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Easily the best comic book movie I've seen. And it showed, like Spider-Man 2 also did for example, that doing a good comic book movie is less about being anally faithful to each and every aspect from the comic book and more about being faithful to the essence of the characters. In this case, the movie succeeded in showing that:

- Batman is not supposed to be seen as a hero.

- The Joker is Batman's most dangerous foe because Batman's deductive skills depend directly on logic.

- What the Joker does is not funny. Of course you laugh at the theater, but would you laugh at someone blowing up an entire hospital in real life?

- If you choose to be Batman, you'll someday pay the price for it.

- Batman sometimes needs to cross the line.

...among other things. I'm very satisfied with the movie and it was much better than the previous one, which completely butchered R'as Al Ghul's essence.

Joeb454
August 4th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I've seen it, I thought it was awesome, I'd go and see it again too :)

mrgnash
August 4th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Seen it. Hated it. Thought it was absolute garbage.

edd07
August 4th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I've seen it, I thought it was awesome, I'd go and see it again too :)
I've seen it thrice :lolflag:

By the way, love you user title thingy :-P

RiceMonster
August 4th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I've seen it twice and would gladly go see it again. Can't get enough of that magic trick!

SomeGuyDude
August 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I've seen it thrice :lolflag:

By the way, love you user title thingy :-P

Four times, here. Midnight drive-in, twice in a regular theater, once in an IMAX. Easily my favorite movie in years, and I'm far from a Batman or superhero-movie fanboy. I haven't liked a comic book based movie since X2 (yes, that counts Sin City and Batman Begins, both of which I considered mediocre).

zxscooby
August 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I thought it was ok.

Erdaron
August 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I really liked Batman Begins, but this blew it away. In my mind, TDK made Batman Begins, along with all the other Batman movies and comic book movies look cartoonish and silly. It was in part because of a very honest approach to the conflict of Batman's character, but also in great part due to Heath Ledger's unbelievable performance. Setting the rest of the movie aside, this a performance for the ages. I have no doubt that scores of young actors will be watching this and taking notes for years to come. His madness was so real and palpable, it was truly frightening at times.

Anyway, fantastic movie.

MONODA
August 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
second best comic book movie ive seen, first is v for vedetta (even though the comic was soooo much better than the movie).

dominiquec
August 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I quite liked "The Dark Knight". It was an epic movie, in terms of good vs. evil. Never seen it quite portrayed in film as now. Usually, the bad guy is still after some good (money, power, etc.) but all Joker wants is utter dissolution. Joker is entropy.

I have seen Cinema Paradiso (part of film appreciation class) and I liked it as well. There's a debate as to which version is better, the theatrical release or the director's cut. I saw only the latter.

SupaSonic
August 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Seen it. Loved it.

Let's put a smile on that face!