PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after signing in I get a white screen

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
I had this same problem before and there is no ryhme or reason.. just happens . Had to reinstall.

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Boots fine in failsafe Gnome.. where I am now

dje
August 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Reboot and after bios press escape to get to the grub menu. Select the recovery mode and press enter, let it boot and when a menu comes up select 'fix x' or something similar. let it do that and then when the menu reappears select 'resume normal boot'. try logging in normally after doing that

dje

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
OK, tried that and I still get white screen , but my mp3 on my desktop play if my mouse is over them - even though I can't see them ..still a white screen

shad0w_walker
August 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
It sounds like something is going wrong with compiz. Try logging in and doing this, though you will have to work blind so to speak.

1. Login
2. Wait for it to finish loading up then press Alt + F2
3. Type this command and press enter:
killall compiz.real
4. See if this sorts out the problem.

If it does sort out the problem, then you can make it stop loading compiz by going to System > Preferences > Appearance and selecting None from the Visual Effects tab.

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
I did exactly as you said... and all went well . one thing though: when I checked visual effects was on none and when restarted white screen again.
running a little strange 2..

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
but can see the desktop and all - worked like a charm

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
ok, 3rd reboot still going into white screen , then alt +f2 and type killall compiz.real gets me into ubuntu regular screen with my desktop. I have none selected under syst-pref-appearance-visual effects .. How can I get it to reboot to normal without typing the kill code. ..

the liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception

kk0sse54
August 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
You have to make sure that metacity becomes your default window manager everytime you boot up. The command to replace compiz with metacity would be
metacity --replace

MeTylerDurden
August 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
You have to make sure that metacity becomes your default window manager everytime you boot up. The command to replace compiz with metacity would be
metacity --replace

Ok, I went to terminal and the metacity --replace didn't seem to go , but went to synaptic and manually removed all compiz then checked metacity and both were installed just added themes .. then restarted and wow. WOW back to normal.. home sweet home.. no more white screen ..

I don't ever wanna come back down off this cloud