PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Update killed both my partitions, Linux and Vista

DilfATX
August 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I did an update yesterday on my desktop computer when I was running Hardy.. and then the computer started acting weird.. programs wouldn't stay open and i had to click restart twice to have it restart..

upon restart bios loaded and then grub which showed both Linux and my vista each OS has its own dedicated harddrive. i went to select Linux and nothing happened..i restarted the computer and i went to select vista..and nothing happened.. i let it hang on both for an hour or more.. and nothing happened.. when i clicked to turn off the computer it would immediately shut off as if it didn't even begin to load anything when i selected either linux of vista..

somebody please help.. as i understand it you only get so many installations of vista and i don't want it to not install, need it for my phone mods..

and on Linux i have files i was working on.. that would be far more convenient to simply have them back..

fortunately i have backed up all important files before this occured.. as in family videos and pics..

benerivo
August 3rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Don't be rash here. Wait for a few answers on these forums before you do anything. First off, i would say you need a 'linux live cd', as you already know you can go nowhere with the hard disk. If you have the ubuntu cd, then load that. From there (and without any system changes) you can at least to access your drives and backup any files from that you want to keep (backup to usb). Vista may have a limited number of reinstalls, but i'm sure it is more than just two or three, and even then, you would probably just have to call an automated tel number to get through the installation process.

As far as what the actual problem is, it is going to be difficult to tell what it is if your system doesn't even boot. Personally, i would just reinstall ubuntu over itself.