PDA

View Full Version : IBM Lotus Symphony 1 notes

old_salt
August 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I just tried the IBM Lotus Symphony 1 Install on Kubuntu Hardy.

WHAT A JOKE !!!!!

As an I.T. Professional I was hoping for some months this would be the saving grace, the holy grail - the answer to our dreams in providing or satisfying the last caveat in affording a full migration away from Microcrap. I guess I was wrong for holding my breath.

I among many in the industry have the opportunity, means, support and ability to migrate to an exclusive Linux environment however..... we can't! I was hoping that IBM would pull through however in typical IBM fashion which lost them everything, they were true to deliver a dud no different than what they've been doing for the past 10 - 15 years.

As any I.T. Person knows; the ONLY thing besides special apps that is holding them back from a full Linux migration is the Office Suite. Open Office has it's good points and Koffice is centered to a single interface. Both are a far cry from being able to go head-to-head with MS Office and that's the problem.

While OpenOffice is the clear front runner, the problem doesn't lie with Sun, it's the stupid ISO. So until they can get their act together, the world must suffer longer.

I installed the IBM Lotus Symphony Suite 1 just now. Many issues and warnings.

- App install was... well I think I can install Linux faster than this app installed.
- A 523.8Mb footprint for a Java Based App is amazing. You don't want me to get on my soapbox about the crap of a technology called Java.
- It required 3 clicks per dialog box in order to activate the selection - Do we have an application coding issue?
- It includes it's own JRE. Many questions about this. what's wrong with the versions everyone has already installed? Why must an app cludge up a system with a duplicate install? What happened to autodiscovery and detection?
- App never opened after install which took almost 20 min. Like I said, I can almost install Linux faster.
- I figured maybe rebooting might clear everything and get the app running. WRONG !!!!! My reboot hug before the GRUB Loader. S C A R Y !!!!!!!

Rebooted with a power cycle and got the system back up and immediately removed the install without delay. I can't say how disappointed I am with IBM for this however my experience with IBM supports the phrase - (I)v'e - (B)een - (M)islead.

BEFORE you install the IBM Lotus Symphony app, be forewarned!!!!!!

I've never encountered such a piece of garbage in all my life and am very disappointed that a firm such as IBM even chose Java which anoune outside a developer knows is crap to begin with. It may be good for some things but it's not in this instance.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST anyone even wasting their time to download this ...... whatever. Save your system and move on to better things.

Old_Salt

Sef
August 5th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.