PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Random awesome/DWM/WMII chatter v2

shearn89
August 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Since the old thread got locked with the forum update, here's the new v2.
Mods - if anyone feels this is in the wrong forum, please move it. The last one was in this subforum, and was a general support thread for all tiling wms, so i guessed the new one could be too...

Let me start out by saying that i just finished submitting my new howto:

"Howto: Write an awesome 3 rc file". At least, i think that was the title. If/when it gets approved, i'll post a link. When awesome 3 is finally released (rc came out quite recently), i'll redo my old "installing awesome" one.

jetsabel
August 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
i'm looking foward to this howto!

Sammm_
August 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I'm desperatley trying to compile dwm to replace awesome (it keeps making my pc crash, odd). Anyway I'm getting this error when compiling, and I can't find out how to resolve it...

dwm build options:
CFLAGS = -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Os -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DVERSION="5.1" -DXINERAMA
LDFLAGS = -s -L/usr/lib -lc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXinerama
CC = cc
CC -o dwm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXinerama
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [dwm] Error 1

Anyone have any idea how to resolve it?

Solved - I should of read all the files first, I just commented that part of config.mk out.

mali2297
December 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I have just now installed awesome 3 (the latest 3.1). I am trying to figure out how to adjust the window placement so that the windows won't overlap in floating mode.

I can set awful.placement.no_offscreen and awful.placement.no_overlap inside awful.hooks.manage.register. That solves the problem when I open new windows in floating mode. However, when I open windows in tiling mode and then switch to floating mode, the windows get stacked on top of each other in the upper left corner. Does anyone know a solution?

shearn89
December 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
completely forgot about this thread - I guess my howto never got accepted. Maybe i'll just update the old one...

anyway - not sure how to get around this. I'd guess you could code something into one of the hooks similar to what you've already done? I'm not that good with lua though, so I can't help too much...

mali2297
December 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
completely forgot about this thread - I guess my howto never got accepted. Maybe i'll just update the old one...

Isn't it here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=879059)?

shearn89
December 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
aha! thanks a lot... update coming after some revision has been done (exams next week).

dbbolton
March 8th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I'm having trouble with certain windows showing up beyond the edge of the screen. I started a thread about it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1089832

zedwards
April 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Artwiz...The last thing I want to perfect my wm. I cannot for the life of me get artwiz fonts to show in wmii. I have done everything but they just don't show up as installed in xfontsel but they do show up in my font catalogue. Any ideas?