PDA

View Full Version : So I had the weirdest thought about Linux/Windows

Nostrafus
August 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
So I have a dual boot system, I've got my Windows partition for gaming, and I've got my Linux partition for everything else.

I've been off and on using different distro's of Linux for the past 10 years, and every time I make the switch back to windows because I would get frustrated with a lack of "stuff to do" I don't mean like playing solitare, or same-gnome, those are always fun.

But before OpenOffice.org came along there wasn't a well built, easy to operate document creator. Before GIMP there wasn't anything to do the higher end of graphics editing, things like that.

So I'm sitting here doing some writing, and my brother tells me that a new release of a game I'm beta testing is available, and I've gotta download the newest core. I finish up what I'm doing and swap over to my windows partition. I start the download, it says "19 hours", well it is 9 1/2 gigs.

Then I stared at my monitor for about 5 minutes and I had the thought... "Now what do I do?" I seriously could not thing of anything to do with Windows since the game I'm currently playing wasn't able to be played.

Anyone else had this weird realization?

Joeb454
August 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
No, this is why I bought a console ;)

Nostrafus
August 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Heh, consoles haven't quite hit the mark with MMORPGS, I'm one of those types. :D

Joeb454
August 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Ok I'll give you that (there is Final Fantasy XI of course, but anyway.

Play a browser based MMORPG? That way you can play while it's downloading.

Nostrafus
August 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I just decided to go to sleep instead of staring at a monitor for the day, or trying to find something to do with windows, granted it put me a day behind on my writing, but it's not like it's for college, or work, just something I'm doing on the side.

red_Marvin
August 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Can't you just do the download in linux, or is the download controlled by the game program?

arsenic23
August 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Couldn't you have mounted your windows partition and downloaded it to there from linux ?

Nostrafus
August 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Couldn't you have mounted your windows partition and downloaded it to there from linux ?

Heh, I did not have that thought until about 8 hours into the download, as it was a new core and not just a patch, I could have used linux and transfered it to the windows partition.