PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading MP3's in Firefox 3

neilrizo
August 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Can somebody please help me out with this...

I've been trying to download an MP3 file from a file sharing service but I've been encountering a problem. The thing is whenever I click on the "Download" button it always opens up XMMS instead of downloading the file.

The funny thing is this is happening even if in the preferences section of FF3 all MP3 types are set to "Save File" as its corresponding action.

What's going on? How can I remedy this?

spin2cool
August 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
in Firefox 3, go to Edit > Preferences > Applications

search for 'MP3', then change the associated action to "always ask" (or "save file", if you prefer).

neilrizo
August 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
in Firefox 3, go to Edit > Preferences > Applications

search for 'MP3', then change the associated action to "always ask" (or "save file", if you prefer).

I appreciate the reply, but as my earlier post says the associated action in Firefox is already set to "Save file".

I've also tried setting it to "Always ask" but I still get the same results. It still gets opened by XMMS instead of being downloaded.

pbpersson
August 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
This is a silly question, but have you tried right-clicking on the link and choosing "save link as"?

neilrizo
August 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
This is a silly question, but have you tried right-clicking on the link and choosing "save link as"?

It's not silly at all. But the thing is it isn't a link, Rapidshare uses a download button. So I really have to click on the button for the action to occur.

spin2cool
August 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I appreciate the reply, but as my earlier post says the associated action in Firefox is already set to "Save file".

Sorry - my bad.

Run "firefox -ProfileManager" and try doing the same d/l using a clean profile. If that works, it's something screwy in your installation, probably due to an extension/addon.

loboc
August 4th, 2008, 04:55 AM
In the firefox download manager window (CTRL+y or Tools>Downloads) you could look at the properties of the transfer and then copy past the source to a terminal download

wget http://theserver.yourmp3ison.com/folder/fille.mp3

kostkon
August 4th, 2008, 04:58 AM
In the firefox download manager window (CTRL+y or Tools>Downloads) you could look at the properties of the transfer and then copy past the source to a terminal download

wget http://theserver.yourmp3ison.com/folder/fille.mp3
If thi is RapidShare we are talking about, you cannot use wget, unfortunately.

Clark_Culver
September 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I was having the same problem while trying to download the TWIT podcast. It was driving me nuts. The problem is with the VLC Multimedia plugin that is included by default with Ubuntu. Disable it and the usual dialog will appear that will allow you to choose what to do with the file.

Goto: Tools -> Add-ons -> Disable VLC -> Restart Firefox

- CC