View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell 8600m GT Problems Messed up screen

korndog2003
August 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
I have have a Dell Vostro 1500
Specs:
Core 2 Duo 1.4Ghz
4Gb High Performance OCZ Memory
nVIDIA 8600m GT 256 MB

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition. I enabled the restricted nVIDIA Drivers and rebooted and this is what came up. This is the second time I have installed Ubuntu and this has happened, How do I fix the current installation and get the right drivers?

Thanks, Luke

Rocket2DMn
August 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Hi, I edited your post so that there isn't that huge screenshot, I made it an attachment instead.

RE: Your problem
After you boot the computer, do CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to a TTY, login at this terminal, and run the following commands:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx-new
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
(I think you are using nvidia-glx-new, but if it doesn't like that first command, try nvidia-glx instead).
The GUI should now restart normally, with the restricted drivers disabled. If it doesn't take you to the GUI, do CTRL+ALT+F7 and do CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X.

This time, rather than using the Hardware Drivers manager to install the restricted drivers, you might give EnvyNG a try - http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A
This should detect the card and install the correct drivers for you. After a system reboot you should be good to go.

korndog2003
August 4th, 2008, 08:13 AM
worked perfect thanks!