PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Rockbox?

pi.boy.travis
August 3rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Who out there is using the Rockbox media player firmware replacement? I've been using it on my Toshiba Gigabeat for a while now. FLAC sounds better than .wma, but Rockbox supports just about any audio format you could think of. I really like it so far.

Kingsley
August 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm still waiting for Rockbox to be ported to the Sansa e280 v2.

NovaAesa
August 3rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I'm using it on my Sansa e250. Makes my vorbis files work :P

miggys
August 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
I also am using rockbox on a gigabeat and though I love the additional file formats it plays, I must admit I preferred Toshiba's own interface. Perhaps I just haven't investigated the rockbox capabilities...it was just so easy to change to play all or play artist or play album modes with the original firmware.

pi.boy.travis
August 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
The original UI was more user friendly, but in my opinion the added features are worth it.

OutOfReach
August 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
I wish I can use Rockbox, unfortunately I have an iPod Nano 2nd gen, and Rockbox doesn't have a build for it and I don't think it ever will. :(

Kotjze
August 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
I use Rockbox on my old iriver H120. The iriver firmware was horrible, and the fonts were huge :p I would probably have an iPod now but the Rockbox firmware makes me want to keep the iriver until it finally stops working. Going on over 5 years now, the battery is soon gonna crap out :p Then I get to buy an iPod Touch. ;)

grossaffe
August 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'm Rockboxing on my Sansa e260. I even created an Ubuntu theme for it. You can find it in their WPS gallery. On that note, if you do use the theme, you'll have to do something about the back-color since I forgot to change it. It blends in with the text in plugin-menus since the background picture doesn't show up on those.

Spike-X
August 3rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
I've been using Rockbox on my 80Gb iPod for quite a while now, and I love it. I would like to see better support for album artwork, though - having to find covers for every album I have, and converting them to 120x120 .bmp files can get quite tedious after a while.

doorknob60
August 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
I put in on my parents' iPod, but it was a little buggy and they didn't really like it. I put back the original firmware and use Amarok with Traskode so I still use Vorbis for storing on the computer :)

Keith_Beef
May 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm Rockboxing on my Sansa e260. I even created an Ubuntu theme for it. You can find it in their WPS gallery. On that note, if you do use the theme, you'll have to do something about the back-color since I forgot to change it. It blends in with the text in plugin-menus since the background picture doesn't show up on those.

Could you provide a link to your theme? I've been looking around on themes.rockbox.org and can't find anything ubuntu-like, nor anything with the name "grossaffe"...

OK, No need to do that... I stumbled upon the WPS Graveyard:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WpsSansaE200#Ubuntu

K.

zmjjmz
May 21st, 2009, 03:51 AM
I use Rockbox on my 80GB iPod Touch 5.5G. It's nice.

PScal
May 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
I use rockbox on my iPod mini. I replaced the 4gb HDD with a 32gb compact flash card, and it works great.

mp3_freak_721
May 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
I use the partially working port for my Cowon D2. \\:D/

Lizzy
May 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I use it on my iAudio X5 60GB and since that my battery time seems better. The only thing that bugged me was the fact that i had to convert all my cover art into 100*100 pixels .bmp *loool it took an eternity

RiceMonster
May 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I use the partially working port for my Cowon D2. \\:D/

I just use the standard D2 firmware. Works great; so i see no reason to change.

Einsamkeit
May 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
I've been using it for my Sansa E260 for about a month now , it works great, but the Doom minigame is nearly impossible to play. :(

BackwardsDown
May 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm using rockbox on my Ipod nano (1st gen), and I really like the ability to create a log I can post to last.fm

Keith_Beef
May 29th, 2009, 01:52 AM
My attempts at making an Ubuntuesque theme for rockbox are coming along quite well, I think.

I ordered some sheets of Ubuntu stickers from the Canonical web-store. They arrived; the Ubuntu logo on transparent film is very slightly too big to fit perfectly on the centre "select" button, but it's serviceable.

Trying to take photos didn't work too well... there were visible artifacts that look like they're from the scanning of the screen. I need to do some more tries with slower shutter speeds.

But here are two screendumps from the Rockbox UI Simulator running under Wine.

I'd prefer to make long titles split over two linesm rather than scroll, but I've not found a way to do that yet.

Polygon
May 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
not me. rockbox has a terrible interface. Sure the now playing screen can look great, but the rest of the program, searching through menus and folders and stuff? haha, what a joke.

Keith_Beef
May 29th, 2009, 03:35 AM
not me. rockbox has a terrible interface. Sure the now playing screen can look great, but the rest of the program, searching through menus and folders and stuff? haha, what a joke.

That's why you should use the database, so you can search by artist, disc title, song title, year, genre... etc.

It takes a little more time to understand how it works, but after that, it's easy.

I admit, though, that there are just too many menus and options for everyday use. There should be a way to switch to a simplified view for day-to-day operation, and then to switch to a complete view for fine-tweaking the configuration.

Vadi
May 29th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I use it :/

radi0j0hn
June 12th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I have it on a Toshiba Gigabeat F/80 and I like it, but Ubuntu can't see it when I plug it in!

Dawei87
July 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
i was curious, i am thinking about putting rockbox on my ipod video, but i was just wondering how you would sync it after that? right now a use banshee, would that still work or would i just use drag-and-drop?

Chronon
July 7th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I use the hell out of it.

Dawei87: A Rockboxed player just behaves as a UMS device. You could drag and drop from the file browser or use rsync or use Amarok 1.4 or . . ..

DirtDawg
July 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I have used it on my iPod Nano 1st gen for two or three years and I LOVE IT. My Nano was not even capable of video playback without Rockbox, let alone all the other goodies.

Also, I love the ability to move my music on and off the iPod without being hindered by an iTunes (or equivalent) interface.

Why so rude? I prefer the Rockbox interface to the iPod interface anyday because I know how to keep my music organized and thus prefer the file browser over silly genre/artist categories. But even if that wasn't the case, I could use the database to create those categories. On top of that, I often have many files that are not music related on my iPod so I appreciate the ability to browse and organize them in any way I see fit. A standard file browser is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Finally, if you don't like the setup, it is completely customizable so I'm not sure why you want to call Rockbox a joke. Maybe you've done something that outshines it?

TBOL3
July 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
It is the reason why I got my Sansa e260.

Spike-X
July 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM
i was curious, i am thinking about putting rockbox on my ipod video, but i was just wondering how you would sync it after that? right now a use banshee, would that still work or would i just use drag-and-drop?
Either way will work.

I'm currently using it in file browser mode only, which necessitates drag'n'drop, because if you sync it with Amarok or some such, it changes the file names to gibberish and puts them in random folders.

Dawei87
July 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
thanks for the info guys. well i just installed it (soo much easier than i thought) and i dont think im going back. rockbox is pretty awesome and it even seems like it will give me better battery life.

radi0j0hn
July 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Got it on my Gigabeat, but Ubuntu doesn't recognise it. Any ideas?

markp1989
July 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I used to use it on my 1gen nano, before it broke (screen cracked), and i got a 4th gen... rockbox cannot work on my new ipod which i miss abit, but oh well.

mister_pink
July 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have it on a Toshiba Gigabeat F/80 and I like it, but Ubuntu can't see it when I plug it in!

Got it on my Gigabeat, but Ubuntu doesn't recognise it. Any ideas?

This is a bug in ubuntu, mine did it until I fixed it. When you connect by usb the device sends an identifying code, ubuntu interprets this the wrong way.

See this bug report, its for a sansa but its the exact same issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/345916

and this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1097613