PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!!

psychobilly freakout
August 3rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
I dont have any toolbars . i have no menu no nothing..just one browser and everything is empty.I've just installed ubuntu and i see nothing but the desktop and firefox!

Diabolis
August 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Start the window manager:

metacity --replace

psychobilly freakout
August 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
how? i dont have any start menu or anything.,

Diabolis
August 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Thats why is good to have a key short cut that will start a terminal.

You can press <Ctrl><Alt>F1 and it will open a new session with a terminal, if you want to go back press <Ctrl><Alt>F7

Also to start gnome:

gnome-session

psychobilly freakout
August 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
When i go through the terminal it asks me for the password but nothing types when i need to enter the password, when it asks my username i put it but when i enter my password somehow it just locks.

Diabolis
August 3rd, 2008, 02:20 AM
Does restarting xserver, doesn't fix your problem?

to restart xserver (it will take you to GDM, the log in screen) press <Ctrl><Alt>backspace

lisati
August 3rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
When i go through the terminal it asks me for the password but nothing types when i need to enter the password, when it asks my username i put it but when i enter my password somehow it just locks.
When you type your password at the terminal, it is normal for it not to show - this is a security precaution. Just type it as usual, and press "Enter".

psychobilly freakout
August 3rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
When i enter the codes that you guys gave me i always get these errors saying error cannot display and unable to display x..Whats the problem~