PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for LAN

twigsby
November 9th, 2005, 05:15 AM
I'll be attending a rather large LAN Party in a few days http://www.multiplay.co.uk/i26/ and was just wondering if Ubuntu will actually be up to it.

I've got all my games configured and ready to go, drivers, mods, etc. But I've just now started to question the networking side of things.

Will Ubuntu work right (well, will it play nice with Windows)? I've never had to deal with networking Windows for the task of playing lots of Games... I'm babbling here...

Right, basically, does anyone have any experience with this and are there likely to be any hiccups?

A-star
November 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Well sharing files with other windows clients will be tricky (you have to setup Samba for that and only if you use windows networking).

what you can do is use ftp or dc++ to share files with the other user their.
For playing games there should be no problem whatsoever.

xaque
November 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Yup, I use Cedega and native games to play with my friends all the time. It's completely transparent.

daveisadork
November 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM
You should be fine except for Windows file sharing, as previously mentioned. If you have a need to share files, I would also recommend setting up an FTP as they tend to work better than Windows filesharing anyway.

twigsby
November 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM
That's excellent to hear. :D

File sharing wont be a problem since it's forbidden at the event. It would probably be some disgusting form of a Virus orgy otherwise. :???: