PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Open source contribution

knightcoder
August 3rd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hi all.
I work in a software company as a developer.

I would love to contribute to the open source repository of software. Is it legal ?

TBOL3
August 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
That depends on what country you live in, and what the company says.

Even if you lived in a country where this is legal, most of us don't, so I wouldn't.

However, if the company says it's ok for you to contribute the software that your making is ok, then yes, it is. (Note that this is difforent if you are independently making your own software and then selling it to the company, if this is the case, then sure, do whatever you like).

For the most part, if you are a paid employee, then whatever you do in that time, is not yours, sort of.

Delever
August 3rd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Hi all.
I work in a software company as a developer.

I would love to contribute to the open source repository of software. Is it legal ?

You haven't actually specified what do you want to contribute. If your own work at spare time, then of course. If code which belongs to company (if you are working for it, usually it does), then no. If you own the company or get permission, then yes. If code is not open source, then no. If you make it open source, you can't hide it anymore. If you are actually asking if it is legal to share your code, then yes. And I am not an expert :D

hansdown
August 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Hi knightcoder. You can contribute any code that is not proprietary. If you would like to contribute to open source, and your contract with your employer is not breached, you are allowed to use, alter, and improve any free software code you may find.

skyfolly
August 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
if u do not want unforsee legal actions, always ask yr employer first.

you can always donate money or hardware to help them.

used to donate to FSF, 10 bucks USD a month, few years, but cut off when i find sick children in China need that little money more and i was short of money!. should restart the donation,

knightcoder
August 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks.
I think the best thing to do is to ask my employer permission so as to avoid unnecessary legal trouble.

madjr
August 3rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks.
I think the best thing to do is to ask my employer permission so as to avoid unnecessary legal trouble.

you can always contribute to existing programs, head over to sourceforge, freshmeat or google code, many projects are seeking contributors :)

also you may release your own programs under an GPL if you like in the future.